knocking noise

dvd

hi folks firts time post

I have a landrover discovery R plate automatic 1998

drove to work yesterday all was fine when came out to go home car started first time but there was a loud knocking noise coming from what i thought was the engine drove home and the noise disapeard but when got home swithched her off and then restarted her back up the noise had returned even louder sounded as though the big ends had went had a look underneath and could'nt see anything obvious but i can feel the vibration coming through the engine sump and automatic gearbox sump check'd the levels all spot on

today i removed the sump but everything seem's fine checked the all the bolts and they are all nice and tight turn'd the engine over using the crank and it all looks good big ends moving nicely

also removed rocker cover and everything was fine there as well everything working as it should

there is also a small plate attached to the gearbox housing removed this and checked the bolts inside as i turn'd the crank

is there anybody out there who could point me in the right direction as i'm a bit reluctant in removing the gearbox

If it is an auto it is probably the drive plate that links the crankshaft and torque converter. These break around the centre (fatigue cracks) and you get a terrible metallic knocking at idle, usually disappears when you increase the revs and can be quiet when driving. What happens is that the plate cracks and then the crack opens and closes with the vibration of the engine, this is worst at no load/idle but the crack stays closed under load and shuts the noise up. Fairly urgent gearbox out job to replace it and the plate is bloody expensive - about 200 quid.

Cheer's folks for getting back to me

Does anybody know where i can get step by step instructions on removing the transmission not sure where to start

Cheers Fozsug can you give me a price on the drive plate just in case it is needed when i strip the transmission out

Im sure one of the clever people on here, im not one of them :huh: , will direct you towards a tech link on here, there does'nt seem to be any interest in my drive plate in the for sale section, so if you need it its yours :D

Thanks fozsug for getting back to me.

I will hopefully have gearbox out today but I am doing it myself and if im not dead i will get back to you later on tonight.

I am 99.9% sure thats what the problem is.

If you can send me an e-mail to daviddonald@hotmail.co.uk it would be much easier for me as i am computer elitrate need to get my son to do this every time i send something.

You say the plates mine if i need it.

Cheers will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Thanks fozsug for getting back to me.

I will hopefully have gearbox out today but I am doing it myself and if im not dead i will get back to you later on tonight.

I am 99.9% sure thats what the problem is.

If you can send me an e-mail to daviddonald@hotmail.co.uk it would be much easier for me as i am computer elitrate need to get my son to do this every time i send something.

You say the plates mine if i need it.

Cheers will get back to you a.s.a.p.

HI FOLKS MANAGED TO GET GEARBOX OUT WAS THE DRIVE PLATE THE BIT THE MIDDLE OF DRIVE PLATE SNAPED FULL CIRCLE WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF FOZUG WOULDGIVE ME EMAIL CHEERS AND THANKS FOR UR HELP

• 3 weeks later...