chirping 300tdi

windrover

Hello all, looking for some advice on how to identify where the loud, continuous chirping is coming from on my 300tdi...new belt, relatively new water pump, power steering pump, fairly recent alternator rebuild. what is the most common culprit? I tried listening through a hose to the various components but no luck decifering the origin. thx,Ken

If it is coming from the motor I have always found it to be the belt tensioner but changing it and the belt only stops it for 6k or so for on both

my 300s. I have been told this is normally due to the v's in the various pulleys wearing down so the belt starts to sit in the bottom instead of riding on the shoulders of the v.

the sound is definitely coming from the front of the engine at rest...power steering pump, water pump, alternator or belt tensioner. new belt doesn't make a difference any more so I think it likely is not a worn pulley. looks like i'll have to replace pieces bit by bit.

use a genuine or gates belt they seem to be the best and make sure all the grooved pulleys are spotless! to isolate if its the belt squirt some wd40 on the grooved side of the belt while its running, if it stops then theres your culprit!!

Firstly take off the belt, 'with clean hands' then rubb talcum powder all over it then replace. Or some old draughtsmans stuff called POUNCE, almost talc but a bit coarser for degreasing negatives as the ink wont stick to a sweaty hand print!

Also remember on one forum 'the old penny trick!' Basically you undo the bolts holding the tensioner on, and slip a small penny behind the top o/s bolt area then clamp up, this realigns the whole thing. People swear by this, although i've never tried it as the POUNCE trick worked on my new belt. have fun, They always get noisy when it gets damp. :(DONT spray wd40 around, this only makes it worse!

Guest noggy

use a genuine or gates belt they seem to be the best and make sure all the grooved pulleys are spotless! to isolate if its the belt squirt some wd40 on the grooved side of the belt while its running, if it stops then theres your culprit!!

A puff ( :ph34r: ) of talcum powder works wonders! i carry a pot in the back of my tractor everywhere it stops the annoying squeaking belt! and smells nice when you rev up :D

Hello all, looking for some advice on how to identify where the loud, continuous chirping is coming from on my 300tdi...new belt, relatively new water pump, power steering pump, fairly recent alternator rebuild. what is the most common culprit? I tried listening through a hose to the various components but no luck decifering the origin. thx,Ken

A quick squirt of good old fashioned "Talcum Powder" onto the grooved side of the belt stops it chirping. If it starts again after a couple of minutes it's either water on the belt or the tensioner's out of alignment. Check your "P" gasket. I didn't and blew the head gasket on my 300 TDI Disco. If you change the water pump, it shares three long bolts with this gasket and nine times out of ten it doesn't reseal after their removal.

GOOD LUCK !!!

I agree, sounds like tensioner....

Or

Check you have right width belts.. From memory, the Power steering belt should be fatter on V belt systems... (Or is that just V8 systems?)

Or

Make sure the drive pully isn't slipping on the shaft of the alternator.

Happened on my sisters VW Golf and we only tracked it down when pully came off the shaft and the associated belt carnage put pistons and valves out of time.. New head required!

Neil

Fixed for a penny...gloriously quiet. Shimming the belt tensioner with a penny has to be one of the more obscure repairs out there. thanks for your advice on that; cheapest, most satisfying repair job yet.

A pleasure! :rolleyes: Show us a picture, aye!