front wheel drive flange?

hello!

When it was time for 1st service on my -97 110tdi i discovered this on one of the front wheels:

flange2.jpg

how do i fix this...it see that chims and circlip has become one with the chaft.

I assume that hamering is a "no-no"....any tips or ideas how to do?

cheers

Jan-one whos sad when people dont take care of they LR's

Edited by lacrits68

Oh dear, front wheel? Someone has buggered it up :(

The reason for welding it up is usually to bodge up any play there might have been between driveshaft and drive member. You won't be able to strip the hub in any way at all with it welded like that. To repair it - you will have to grind the weld off right back until the flange comes off, then replace the CV joint as you just ground off the end of it.

New CV joint/drive member, 2 x shims, gasket, and circlip to fix it.

Les.

hello!

it seems that parts are "electricity glued"...!

heres a pic of flange sanded

flange8.jpg

and after some angelgrinding:

flange9.jpg

sadly i cant separare them...getting p** off..! :( But you can see how worn flange has been before welding..!

cheers

Jan

Don't you love previous owners. They could have just replaced the drive flange. They cost nothing....

Yes I do! Fixed it myself...saved a quid! I rather keep my 110 as standars as possible cause "original" parts are easier to find when thay brake, rather that "custom/special" parts!

Our 110 is used as "overland/adventure" car!

last summer was "russia-with-rover" with discovery...110 was bought after that trip, cause we realized that disco 2 is too small for longer trips..!

_DSC3308c.jpg

_DSC3397.jpg

_DSC3126.jpg

_DSC3906.jpg

russiabridge799-1.jpg

_DSC4262.jpg

cheers

Jan

VICTORY!

flange10.jpg

and

DEFEAT!

quess how hubb internals looks like! :( Tried to loosen 1st lock nut with "hubb tool" not an mm/inch of movment! Soked it all in "rustoil" and hopefully tomorrow im more lucky! Othervice i borrow HD 52mm nut&vrench from work on monday!

cheers

Jan