hg problems, little help please

edy

hey all :)

right got a freelander with the 1.8 k series in it, unfortunatly the inevitable happened and the head gasket went. so had the head skimmed (but the bloke said he took a load off it could never be done again) and everything was good. now ive got a new head gasket set but, there is a like tripple layer metal head gasket in there and a a really thin one in the same shape. do i use both of these?

also does anyone know the correct tourqe sequence?

and finally whats this i hear about the bolt might be too long or somthing??

thanks all the help will be much appriciated :)

cheers fridgefreezer found it :)

but fitted the headgasket, ran it up and tbh ran quite nice but when i filled the coolant backup it appeared to be leaking inbetween the head and block between cylinder 3 and 4? i tried nipping the cylinder head bolts up very slightly but to no avail, the bottom bolt (closest the front of the engine) between 3 and 4 when trying to tighten it up just seams to kind of spring back? and when i took the rocker cover off a lot of white smoke seamed to come out of it, although this could be the oily watery mix in the oil cus havent changed it yet just wated to see if it started.

thanks again this is much appriciated, just need to get this thing done because till then got no car!! :(

The gasket set you have is called MLS and is the replacement for the composite type. Did you replace the locating dowels as well? - they should be steel as opposed to the nylon type. The head bolts are known as stretch bolts, so when you tighten them - they do turn back the opposite way a small amount, and this is normal. Be very careful about over-tightening them - they snap very easily, and you may have to remove the sump as well to remove a broken one. The head bolts can be reused - you have to measure them in order to determine that.

As for the leak - water dribbling out while the engine is cold will not be cured by nipping the bolts up a bit.

I did a Freelander head gasket last year and it did the same as yours. I took the head back off, checked everything (the head had been skimmed), put another gasket on, and it's been fine ever since, so I guess it was a faulty gasket (it was leaking in exactly the same place as you - centre, front, between 3 and 4.

Les.

ok stripped it all back down and think your right, faulty hg. but and its a biggg problem, it looks like there is a chunk missing at the outer edge of piston no 4... this is just turning into one nightmere after another... so anyone had to do a piston on one :(

A chipped piston top may not be as bad as you think - as long as it's small and isn't likely to cause the top ring to break. A picture would be very helpful if possible. I've not replaced piston/s on a Freelander, so I don't know the work involved. If you're lucky - sump off, disconnect relevant big end, push piston/conrod assembly out through the top.

Les.