weird noise

hi there first of want to thank you guys for all the advice i've got before :D . now i'm hearing a weird rattling noise when i turn the steering on the right completely and start to drive seems it's coming from behind near the wheels!!! wheels seems ok. d you think it might be the cv joints!!!

thanks in advance

thierry

Depends how you define "rattling noise".

A CV joint seems likely from the way you describe the symptom but that makes more of a rhythmic "click - click - click" noise in time with the rotation of the wheel.

actually that you mention it it more like a click click click noise than a rattling it happen everytime i turn the steering completely to the right.... and feel loads on vibration underneath my seats when i hit like 50 miles per hour! is that the same cause or may be the propshaft not line up properly? thanks for helping really appreciate

thierry

actually that you mention it it more like a click click click noise than a rattling it happen everytime i turn the steering completely to the right.... and feel loads on vibration underneath my seats when i hit like 50 miles per hour! is that the same cause or may be the propshaft not line up properly? thanks for helping really appreciate

thierry

Thanks how can I see Ross topic? I'm thinking of doing it myself as mechanics here are just lazy and try to rip me off had very bad experience! I've read some threads in the tech section and it looks a long job and have to take my time but nothing to hard if I'm right!!! May be I'm wrong do you think that's a good idea I give it a go

thierry

Thanks how can I see Ross topic?

Click "View new content" - top right - it's almost always in the list!

Or, since you asked, click here.

If you wait long enough, I suspect Ross will unbuild and re-build the whole thing right before our eyes (Ross - ;) and see you at Billing, if my 90 makes it)

Link to my thread in my signature, although you may not be able to view it because of the number of posts you have?

My thread is a little lacking in pictures of the taking apart, but should be some pictures of the reassembly soon :)

Its not that hard at all :)... But I have No idea how the CV comes off the half shaft!! hidden circlip or something?

Yes there is a hidden C-clip. Therer's a slot around the end of the shaft - just a few mm in from the end. When the shaft is fitted - the clip is compressed into the slot as the shaft is inserted into the CV joint, and expands once it's inside to keep the assembly together. To remove the CV from the shaft, you need to have the shaft/CV assembly in a dead straight line, and then whack the inner hub on the back of the CV with a mallet or similar. The CV should then pop off, but it's quite common to end-up beating the hell out of it :)

Les.

To get the CV off the shafts with mine, i stacked two steel wheels on top of each other, and stuck the shaft/CV down thru the centrebore. Then i slipped a hub over the shaft and engaged it with the wheel studs (so the hub was in effect upside down) then yanked the shaft up as hard as i could, and the joint popped right off.