Can i use any size battery?

paul mc

I need a new battery for my RRC 3.5V8 EFi, but as i've moved the battery to the seat box I'm wondering can i buy any battery i like,basically i want the biggest battery i can find which will fit in place, is there anything particular i should be looking for?

Cheers

sorry if this a bit long.

the biggest battery is not always the best option.As long as it it up to the correct cold cranking amps then don't worry about it.The problem with having a really big battery is after you've cranked over and started the car it take a long time to recharge after starting.it can take up to half your batteries charge to start your car when cold and that can lead to your alt not being able to recharge your battery fully.which in turn gradually reduces your batteries full charge untill it won't hold a decent charge.

I see the stereotype about LR owners and electricity is alive and kicking :lol:

Not every LR owner ...

Anyway what Mr Fridge is commenting on is this:

The problem with having a really big battery is after you've cranked over and started the car it take a long time to recharge after starting.it can take up to half your batteries charge to start your car when cold and that can lead to your alt not being able to recharge your battery fully.which in turn gradually reduces your batteries full charge untill it won't hold a decent charge.

If this was QI ...

Anyway, starting a given engine at a given temperature, etc. takes the same energy no matter what. In fact, a bigger (more cold cranking amps (CCA)) battery will do better than a small one at low outside temperatures, as it will spin the engine as fast (or faster) for longer. Both the big and the little battery will lose the same amount of stored energy, which the alternator will try and put back. The problem is when the small battery can't supply the current required for the duration of starting the engine, in which case it will suffer damage as it becomes heavily discharged, or the alternator is too small for the engine.

Summary - get a battery that will at least source the required CCA (about 400A for an LR diesel, slightly less for a petrol) and will just physically fit in the battery tray. If you find that the battery doesn't get charged up fully between starts, fit a bigger alternator.

I was commenting on all three posts for different reasons :ph34r: but I'm going to go now before I'm burned as a witch.

Or beaten with a starting handle?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C Clarke