How to tell if I'm on compression stroke?

paul mc

I had the heads off redoing gaskets, valves etc now i have the engine back together it will turn over but won't fire. Looking back through the Haynes manual i should have re-installed the distributor with the rotor arm just before cylinder one HT lead while cylinder 1 is at TDC of the compression stroke, but with the heads and all back together how can i tell if i'm on compression or exhaust stroke?

Cheers

take your rocker cover off, turn the engine over and have a look to see what your valves are doing :) they will both be closed on compression ;)

or ... take your dizzy out, turn the crank one revolution back to tdc - and then put it back in. you will now be on a different stroke.

G

Take number one plug out, stick your thumb over the hole and turn the engine via the crank pulley nut - you can feel the compression - then keep turning until the timing markers line up

Take number one plug out, stick your thumb over the hole and turn the engine via the crank pulley nut - you can feel the compression - then keep turning until the timing markers line up

Good idea, i was hoping for something like that which didn't involve taking bits off the engine again