Slashed tyre or accidental damage?

Went out to the Defender this morning and immediately spotted this:

4571126186_24859d50c9.jpg

Judging by the shiny whiteness of the reinforcing it's pretty recent. We were driving around yesterday and I can't say I noticed it then. Anyhow, does this look like the sort of damage that could occur from driving around the streets of Cambridge or is it the work of some to$$er and a Stanley knife? Either way, it's annoying as the tyre is less than 6 months old (a Kumho Road Venture, 265/75r16 btw).

Cheers,

Andy C.

many years ago I got a tyre slashed like that from running over a bottle - it was on the sidewall too - but mine went pop... :(

Roger

ps reminds me of an old joke:

How did you get the puncture?

Ran over a milk bottle

Didn't you see it?

Nah - stupid kid had it under his coat...

Guest noggy

I tell you what.... those little scr*tes cant even slash a tyre proper no more!!

But seriously... why would you bother slashing just 1 tyre and you didnt even listen for a hiss?

Hmm but then again looking at the angle and arch of the cut it was started from the rim and going towards the tread... not typical of a common tyre slash from road use!

Any chance it's caught a kerb? a road i used to live on had a couple of drainage outlets made of cast iron sticking about an inch out of the kerb, i knew a few people who knackered their alloys on them...

I'm looking at the photo on my phone, so I might have this all wrong, but there looks like a bulge around the cut (though that could be the tension released due to the cut of course) and there appears to me to bf scuff marks lower down the sidewall... Sort of lower in the picture level with the rim weight.

The latter in particular is indicative of kerb scuff, is it not?

Cheers

Blippie

Hi,

Just something that happened to me in a 2007 VW Caddy (I know its Not a Landy) but driving home one night around a bend there was a metal road grate that had its corner stuck up about 1/2 inch, obviously I didnt see it but within 20 seconds of rounding the corner, Bang, looked pretty similar to that wound, only mine went pop. I do have some dodgy mates(reformed now) but slashing tyres is normally done horizontally rather than from the rim to the outer. I have never done tyre slashing so its just what I know from mates when I was younger.

Paul

We have cobble curb stones around here and my wife hit a pot hole and curbed the tyre in her freelander, the damage looked very similar, I guess the downward force together with the curb, was enough to cause the damage.

Jason

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should be happy that it looks more like accidental damage than deliberate - I haven't pi**ed off anyone too much. Our neighbour has a Merc ML500 AMG with intact tyres, so I figured it wasn't a 4x4 hater.

Bit unimpressed that kerbing or somesuch should do that to the tyre - back to BFG's I reckon.

Cheers,

AndyC.