sandringham 6

WEBBY

hi all ive just purchased a new project, series 111 sandringham 6x6, :rolleyes:

not sure why i just like odd motors :D

its a total rebuild but i think all the parts are there its one i used to drive 18 or so years ago, its i diesel with home made flat back on it so if any one has some good pics then id be great full ;)

watch this space and wish me luck :blink:

I have now started making a diff for my pals motor. It will work but how strong it will be is another matter. :unsure:

Looking at the photos on the link it appears that one of the vehicles a drive through axle based on a salisbury axle?

Is that what you are using?

Marc.

Looking at the photos on the link it appears that one of the vehicles a drive through axle based on a salisbury axle?

Is that what you are using?

Marc.

No it was Rover based. The original casing is there with the diff mounting studs set up on the rear. My thinking is to use a TD5 era diff as it has the lower profile journal caps to allow greater clearance for the rear pinion housing which will still need clearancing but will, I reckon, fit. The rear, rear diff is inverted to pick up the reversed output of the centre diff.

My concerns are; the inherant weakness of the Rover crown wheel, Getting anything like a good backlash on the output pinion to the crown wheel when it is only set by bolt location (I can shim for depth but not laterally) and wind up between the rear pair of axles.

I think it would be good to get a set of freewheeling hubs for the rearmost axle and run it disconnected as you would a centre diff when traction is good. Anyone bought an Ashcroft 2wd conversion kit and have a set left over (coiler axle 5 bolt)?

I can make one up and see how it goes I guess as the modified casing is already there.

Oh and Sorry it's not a Series but one of those newfangled coil sprung contraptions!

• 9 months later...

well iv got it home, had set to with the welder and re fitted all the relevent brackets and new rear x member and now have a series 3 6x6 sandringham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The drive runs into a drop box on the front of the centre axle to drive the diff, there is then a shaft comes out the back to drive the rear most axle thus giving 6x6. :)

i plan to fit free wheeling hubs on the rear axle to reduce wind up.

it will be going to Billing on the forward control stand i hope, :P

now the exciting news. ive now purchased a stage 1 v8 sandringham 6x6 as well ;) to rebuild etc, needs some work as been stood many years il try and get that there as well.

either vehicle maybe up for sale next year not sure yet pics to follow thou :):blink:

well iv got it home, had set to with the welder and re fitted all the relevent brackets and new rear x member and now have a series 3 6x6 sandringham!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The drive runs into a drop box on the front of the centre axle to drive the diff, there is then a shaft comes out the back to drive the rear most axle thus giving 6x6. :)

i plan to fit free wheeling hubs on the rear axle to reduce wind up.

it will be going to Billing on the forward control stand i hope, :P

now the exciting news. ive now purchased a stage 1 v8 sandringham 6x6 as well ;) to rebuild etc, needs some work as been stood many years il try and get that there as well.

either vehicle maybe up for sale next year not sure yet pics to follow thou :):blink:

Pics pics................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

yea i used to have a 6x4 2a forward control that ran a dead back axle :(

the reason for freewheeling hubs being in fitted is because it used to bust shafts on long road runs so this will stop any wind up i hope :i-m_so_happy:

• 1 month later...