wiring help required

Hi Folks,

As part on the never ending nightmare with my alarm system i have now narrowed it down i think to the drivers door pin switch wire. When i put in a brand new switch the alarm starts misbehaving again and i get mislock problems with central locking. Take the switch out, tape over connector and all has been well for 2-3 weeks now.

So i guess i need to find where this wire is shorting out/rubbed through or some other equal nasty. However the problem is i dont have a clue where to start looking for it, all i can see is it dissapears into the bulkhead/door post area among the wires from the door never to be seen again!

Does anyone know where this runs? I plan to follow back to sourse and replace with new wire/connectors as required so need to trace it.

Its a 2003 td5 defender csw

Many thanks

David

When i put in a brand new switch the alarm starts misbehaving again and i get mislock problems with central locking. Take the switch out, tape over connector and all has been well for 2-3 weeks now.

So i guess i need to find where this wire is shorting out/rubbed through or some other equal nasty.

Hmm, I can't seem to follow your logic. The pin switch is normally closed (as in short circuit when the door is open) and therefore open circuit when the door is closed. Secondly, electrical faults that cure themselves when you remove a part are normally the fault of the part you've removed <_<

My vote is that the switch and wiring are OK, and in fact the door isn't in the right place to push the switch fully in ( make it open circuit). It can't be the wiring, because the wiring on its own works just fine ...

Try this: work out where the pin switch touches the door (probably the shiny patch) and gaffer tape a penny piece over it, to push the switch in further (I'm assuming the switch is on the bulkhead).

Hi erroll,

Thanks for the idea, will hopefully try that tonight, now you mention the door not quite closing right does make me wonder if its anything to do with worn bottom hinge!

I should point out my theory was entirely best guess stuff, based on having no door switches=all ok, rear door switch=all ok, rear and passanger door switches=all ok, then add drivers one to that and the misery returns, take drivers one out after a week of alarm sulking and interior light coming on randomly while driving down the road and all is ok again.

So my basic fault finding got me this far, and thats definetly the extent of my electrical knowledge.

Cheers for your help though, will post back once i have done it.

David

The front door switch wires is in the very rear outer corner of the engine bay, you should be able to see it with the bonnet off or tied back vertical to the windscreen. tie a long length [at least 2 metres] of string on the switch end, from the engine bay once you've found that wire, carefully pull it out until you have the end connector [switch end] don't pull the string all the way through, cos you find it a PIA to thread the wire back down & get the end connector through the switch hole.

:) thanks western, do you know if the wire is wrapped up in one of the bundles there or on its own - also where does it head to once in engine bay?

Am saving this fun job of wire tracing for my bro, he owes me after 10 hrs sanding door frames :( I hate that job!!!!!

Figure if i find out roughly where for him to look its almost fair. Good tip on the two metres of wire to pull through, would hate to see end dissapear into doorpost. Guess i will make sure its well and truly taped on before i start pulling it through.

David