Creaking clutch .

Hi all,

I have abit of an issue with my clutch on my 300tdi 90 ( R380 ) gearbox, when its cold the clutch feels fine but as it warms up after a couple of miles the clutch becomes stiff and unpleasent and makes a nasty creaking sound coming from inside bell housing when it opperates :( and feels like something is going to break !.

Has anybody else experienced this? or has anybody got any ideas as to why its doing this?

Help please. Cheers.

Regards Guy.

surprised you can hear anything with a 300tdi, they have soooo much sound insulation around the central tunnel. Try taking off the six screws, on top of the unit on the bulkhead that houses the mastercylinder, and firstly spray wd40 then oil from a can, on the side bushes that support the central pivot pin. Get some one to work the pedal while you do this. These do get dry. Good luck.

The creaking is usually the pivot point on the clutch fork (could be other things though, such as thrust bearing on the guide sleeve, or cover fingers). If the pivot point punches through the fork, then the pedal will go solid - with just a creak when you try to press it.

Les.

The creaking is usually the pivot point on the clutch fork (could be other things though, such as thrust bearing on the guide sleeve, or cover fingers). If the pivot point punches through the fork, then the pedal will go solid - with just a creak when you try to press it.

Les.

When the engine and gearbox are cold there is no noise and it feels just like a new 1 , but as it warms up the pedal feels notchy as if something is stiff and when you listen to it from out side its creaking with the notchyness , i put my ear to the bell housing whilst the pedal was being opperated and its definitely coming from inside the bell housing so that rules out the top of the pedal, i would of thought that if it was the pivot punching through ,it would do it all the time....would'nt it? ;)

cheers for your help everyone much appreciated :)

Guy,

When we (as in Nick and myself ) mainly myself :lol:

Replaced the gearbox it had a new clutch/clutch plate and thrust bearing and the pivot plate was in perfect condition....

It may have rusted out tho due to lack of use :P

sorry cant be of help more than that !

Guy,

When we (as in Nick and myself ) mainly myself :lol:

Replaced the gearbox it had a new clutch/clutch plate and thrust bearing and the pivot plate was in perfect condition....

It may have rusted out tho due to lack of use :P

sorry cant be of help more than that !

Les

I really appreciate that your trying to help me, but....that was the Range rover you changed the clutch on ;) lol.

So whats your verdict on the problem ?? seems strange that it only dose it when its warm.

Regards Guy.