King pin problem

Hello, i have a 1992 200tdi 90, and i have just rebuilt both swivel hubs with new swivels, pins, bearings etc etc. When i put the king pins in i tried it first with the shims they gave me in the kit (swivel kit from paddocks) and with the bolts for the pin fully tightened the shims werent clamped down, so i put more shims in, still not clamping them down, so i then put all the shims i had in and it clamped them down but now with it all together there is play top to bottom in the wheel, so i took some shims out so there just about clamped down which reduced the play but there is still play there.

Is there something im doing wrong here?

cheers

ethan

Thank you for the replies, les: i have definatley put the fibre disc in i chacked this today.

western: thank you for the link i didnt know the torque setting for the bolts, so willl try that next, unfortunately i dont have a spring balance to set the pre-load, i will see if the local motor factors have one.

cheers

ethan

western: thank you for the link i didnt know the torque setting for the bolts, so willl try that next, unfortunately i dont have a spring balance to set the pre-load, i will see if the local motor factors have one.

I got mine from a fishing tackle shop: they also sell them in cookery shops!

Sorry for the late reply but have been busy these last couple of days, ive just took out the fibre disc and tried it and its alot worse, what does this mean? The play is small now but still there.

mo murphy: they shoudnt be too long as i asume there the original bolts.

cheers

ethan

Railko and taper bearing-type pins have a huge difference in diameter - something like 20mm as opposed to 12mm (nice try though :) )

Mo might have hit the nail on his really shiny bald head. Busted his truck yet again, so has nowt better to do than get all techy.

Les :unsure:

the only difference i could see is that the top of the pin (the flat bit) is a bit thinner than the old one. Not trying to steal mo murphy's thunder but i did think of this and tried to find the right pin but the only i could find that looked right was the one ive got already which is FRC3511.Am i looking with my eyes shut again?

cheers

ethan