Out Back Challenge

Bush65

Will,

One thing that you don't need is crazy ideas.

You need big power (200+kW at wheels), a strong drive train, great preparation and big ba!!s.

Last year the speed destroyed the rangies that have been succesfull in the past. The winning nissan was a wreck at the finish - no exhaust system, the body was held onto the chassis with ratchet straps.

To give you some idea of how big ba!!s you need. On one special stage, Adam Bird was driving corners with both inside wheels more than 1/2 metre in the air. At one time he put the nissan on it's side and as it was sliding along, on it's side, steered the front wheel into the ground and flipped it back onto all 4's and continued to the finish without coming to rest.

This sounds like a driving style I can relate to.

Its just the Time cleaning a truck enough to get into Aus, Money and Time off work.

A UK challenge events do lack speed and time sections.

Maybe there is a niche in the market in the UK for someone to run an OBC style event? Gotta be better than loads of events all to the same formula.

The trouble is land

you could run a big navigation event (I trid to get SCOR into this but too many marshalls needed)

Say

Time speed sections at sidbury.

punch sections at Bordon.

More sections at say Grand Canion.

All over a long weekend with all the navigation at night and check points in between between the three sites.

three teams of competitors one team per site per day and night nev between site at night.

This was off the top of my head but due to the work needed to organise I never bothered to look into it any harder but it could be done and over much larger distance to keep it hard.

using Road Rally rules for all navigation sections (hard as from when I used to road rally)

punch rules for the sites with other activities thrown in to make it hard .

Were is the challenge in winning a easy event.

It would be possible to run a one or two day event at Seven Sisters site that incorporated punches and speed sections, the site is suitable for both and is used for both by AWDC, also big enough to have both running at the same time as the speed sections wouldn't need to be a full safari course more like speed trial sections. Wouldn't be on the same scale as OBC but would at least be something different for the UK scene.

Yes I would still be keen to push for more navigation as in Seven sisters then move onto another site through the night say the plain and sidbury.

A challenge truck would struggle too much on a safari cause and there would be too many brakeages but something similar.

the UK could never compete with the OBC and its been going for many years and is the top challenge event.

but if enough people could get together to organize a big event and over three days to really sort the men from the boys as it would also be for in durance

so thats

punches.

speed.

navigation.

winching.

in durance.

the recipe for a serious event

but it would be far from cheap to run

And not cheap to enter, so would it get the entries? A bit of a risk for an organiser to take, given it's an unknown type of event in the UK market and would require a lot of organising. That's why i think a single site event on a smaller scale would seem more realistic and if it takes of then yes a big multi site event would be a obvious progression.

Speed sections might be interesting for the portal boys :ph34r: But that's part of the attraction for me, both truck and driver have to be good all round and not one trick ponies.

Similar to what $crapiron and J33p club do now at 7 sisters but more evolved do you mean Mark ?

Sounds like it would be a popular event, going by turnouts to prevoius events there which included winching / punches / navigation / some speed trails / special tasks etc

Night nav around 7S with no GPS would be fun :lol::lol:

Speed sections might be interesting for the portal boys :ph34r: But that's part of the attraction for me, both truck and driver have to be good all round and not one trick ponies.

Nail and head

one the all rounders could win which makes it competitive to all

because the size of your cheque book will not guarantee a win

all down to driving skill and navigation skills.

Good photos John …….excellent,

Like I’ve already said, you cant believe the way these guys drive in competition over there until you have been there and witnessed it ……………. ‘going for broke’ is probably a way too mild way of expressing it :lol: . The style is totally alien to us Europeans …………….. I think a European win is a long, long way off …….. I rest my case m’laud :P

Ian

We looked into such an event in this country Jules.

Even as far as arranging offical access to tour Salisbury, Sidbury, etc.......Which was hell to set up

And then certain authorties had not been told, we had problems with police etc and this was with offical assitance and all the correct mapped aurthorities for the day and a land Marshall assisting us!!!!!!!!

And it comes down to three things

Cost...........MASSIVE

Timing...........Almost impossible to tie down seven sisters, Salisbury, Grand Canyon etc for same weekend.

Lack of entires..........Lots of talkers, not a lot of players :lol:

So thats why we did not take it any further,

Shame really, could have been a good laugh

Jim :)