One shot grease mixture

just warm the sachet in hot water for a while before filling, will help it flow into the swivel easier.

The problem is I do not have access to the STC3435 Sachet. So I was thinking to mix some EP oil and moly-grease. But, how thick the muck should be?

cheers

M

That wont really work. Swivel Oneshot is Thixotropic, which means it becomes liquid when agitated, and becomes solid again when left to stand.

A mixture of EP and grease wouldnt do that.

Just fill it with EP90 or 75w90.

The problem is I do not have access to the STC3435 Sachet. So I was thinking to mix some EP oil and moly-grease. But, how thick the muck should be?

cheers

M

in that case stay with the oil as mentioned above

the grease Spec in the Defender workshop manual is Texaco EP00, you maybe able to source .70 litre [.35 litres for each swivel]

The MS3 grease (molybdenium disulphide) you buy in tubs from a local motor factors, is a thicker and similar version of one-shot grease. MS3 is a cv grease - the same as one shot, and thins to some extent when warm, but not as much as the sachets of One Shot that people usually use.

EP80/90 will mix with it quite readily, and the two will not seperate at a later date. I would take a guess that a 25% dilution of EP80/90 to MS3 would give you a suitable copy of one shot.

Thixotropic has nothing to do with the constituant components of the grease - merely it's reaction in a working environment - not just the temperature of it.

Thixotropy is the property of certain gels or fluids that are thick (viscous) under normal conditions, but flow (become thin, less viscous) over time when shaken, agitated, or otherwise stressed. ...

Les.

And clearly landrover specified a thixotropic grease for a reason, which wont be met if you bodge it up with some mix of random products.

I dont see the point of mixing it anyway. My swivels will be getting EP75w90 along with the transfer case and axles, and i see no real benefits to using grease, and there are some benefits to using oil, such as it being easier to top up, easier to drain out for servicing and will make leakey swivel seals quite obvious.

Grease is absolutely horrid to clean out, and can mask swivel seals in such a way that they can draw in water without much in the way of signs of leakage, and if/when it does leak, its all a bit of a guess as to how much you need to readd.

And clearly landrover specified a thixotropic grease for a reason, which wont be met if you bodge it up with some mix of random products.

Random? how is mixing the recommended oil with the recommended grease?

And how does it become a bodge? On a Land Rover, there are many alterations/modifications that may or may not be interpreted as a bodge - what a remarkably idiotic reply. Oil was used and then One Shot, so either or both will obviously do the job. As to it masking leaks/water getting in - that's a different matter entirely. Nothing in the original post about leaks is there? - nope.

Les.

Just fill it with EP90 or 75w90.

Agree totally. if it leaks then you now you have seal problems and should be corrected. if oil can get out water can get in!

I know alot of people that use one shot because it leaks if they use ep90...... basically they can not be arsed to fix the real issue.

But if there is no leak, then why not just you ep90? far eaiser to get in as you dont have the sachet anyways?