New steering box = sloppy steering!

Tomas4x4

Hello all,

Ive just replaced the steering box on my '96 300tdi and the steering is very sloppy and the vehicle is wander and snaking on the road, not a nice experience...

So does anyone know why? do I need to adjust the steering box or look elsewhere? any comments would be greatly appreciated as its not really driveable as it is.

Many thanks!

Tom.

When I fitted a recon box a few years back to a 96 Tdi 300 I had the opposite problem - the box was too tight in certain positions .

As pinhead says there is adjustment on the box - I used it to get rid of the tight spots and steering was fine after that .

But I imagine there would have to be a lot of play in the box to give your symptoms : why did you change the box ? was it leaking ? was steering OK with old box ?

I know that my brother's 96 Tdi became almost undrivable due to worn track rod ends and linkages - none of them seemed too bad but the cumulative effect was very 'scary' to put it mildly .

Sorry should have said its a recon box. Steering had play in it before, but nowhere near what its like now, I tightened up the box to take away the play but it kept coming back and it was making a nasty noise. I fitted it myself, just seems odd its so much worse now. I'll go over it again and make sure everything is tight, the ball joint on the drag link looks knackered so I shall try that and check the tracking. Thanks for the advise guys, its much appreciated!

Tom.

I believe there's something about where you set the slack in the steering box, in as much as it has more slack at some places than others. I can't remember if it's tight straight ahead and slack on full lock or vice-versa, but I know if you set it wrong you can b*gg*r the box up or wear it out faster.