Flipping an axle ?

Im starting work on a custom 110" hybrid and i plan to turn the engine around to face the rear, flip both front and rear axles and have a mid engined concept.

If i turn an axle upside down is this going to cause any damage to the diff and what would i need to change apart from the obvious suspension components ?

thanks

Mike

The Alvin Smith Strange Rover worked this way - you might need to re-drill the ends of the axle case to get the castor correct, but apart from that (and having the drain-plug at the top) I can't think of any probs...

Are you going to remote link the gear-lever to bring it back to a normal pattern?

Alot of comp safari motors have been done like this before the days of reverse rotation transfer box's were about from the like of Trevor Milner or Rakeway, my early Simmbugghini has flipped axles

Pete's racer has flipped axles. No issues with diff lubrucation - just wrapping them round trees! We made a new front one a while back as he ripped one end off it. It was quite a lot of work, and even a bit of that mathematical geometry stuff for the castor angle. One thing to watch with the front axle is the clearance of the track rod as an upside down diff gets in the way with it's path if the axle casing is at a standard angle, so you'll need to rotate the casing (from your original 180 degree rotate) to point the diff nose up a bit to allow clearance.

The Alvin Smith Strange Rover worked this way

Cor blimey thats a blast from the past! the 5.7 was a bit of a beast iirc :)

...probably got some old mags from the '80's in store with some pics

cheers

Steveb

...probably got some old mags from the '80's in store with some pics

They used to run an ad on the back of one of the mags - I would sit for hours looking at it and plotting how one day I would have one. I saw one at a show once and boy, did it look strong! :)