200 tdi crankshaft rear oil seal

I'm about to put a spare 200tdi engine back into the 110 after swapping my own parts over onto the disco block. Next job is to refit the flwheel housing and cranshaft oil seal. I have a dowty seal but should I fit it to the housing first or after the housing is bolted to the block?

Cheers Mark

Bolt the flywheel housing to the block first then fit the new seal, there should be a nylon sleeve that fits over the endof the crank to prevent damage to the seals lip, a smear or oil or grease will help too.

Bolt the flywheel housing to the block first then fit the new seal, there should be a nylon sleeve that fits over the endof the crank to prevent damage to the seals lip, a smear or oil or grease will help too.

Yes there is a sleeve with the seal. I presume this is withdrawn and discarded once the seal is fitted.

Mark

Yes, the sleeve is there to prevent the lip of the seal from reversing as you slide it over the end of the crank. You can fit the seal to the housing and then fit the whole thing to the block. The important part is that the sleeve stays in place until it's fitted. One method is no more difficult than the other really.

Les.

Yes there is a sleeve with the seal. I presume this is withdrawn and discarded once the seal is fitted.

Mark

Correct.very lightly lube the sleeve & seal & end of crank prior to fitting it'll help when the engine is first started so the seal isn't running on a dry surface.