NATO tow hitch

Having read BM's experiences with the TD5 rear crossmember and bearing in mind that it was quite a while ago, has anyone sucessfully devised a way, since then, of mounting a NATO tow hitch to a TD5 rear crossmember so that a Sankey trailer can be towed safely ?

Cheers

Mo

No, jbs, they're different. Rather than having tubes through the thickness of the xmember and using bolts and nuts to secure the towing fitting, there are threaded bosses on the structure on the inside of the xmember, that the bolts screw into. Many also feel that they are made of aluminium foil ;)

James, I've thought about using a 5mm spreader plate welded to the rear (read visible) face of the xmember to help it cope with any side loads, ie for when the trailer is at an angle to the 90 but I'd like to hear of people experiences with it first.

Somebody is bound to have done it :) Tell me :)

Mo

Common get round is a Dixon Bate adjustable hitch with 2 drop plates. I have the NATO hitch on the top hole and pin/ball on the bottom. May have to rotate the NATO sometimes to use the ball (NATO drop plate is bolted rather tha pinned to the drop plate on mine)

Mo, I've got mine on a 8mm spreader plate and have towed over the max for a Sankey without any problems. Reversing has not distorted the crossmember, but I do wonder about the fact that the hitch has no through the crossmember support.

Mo, I've got mine on a 8mm spreader plate and have towed over the max for a Sankey without any problems. Reversing has not distorted the crossmember, but I do wonder about the fact that the hitch has no through the crossmember support.

It always used to be that Military spec Landys had a totally different crossmember that would suit the NATO hitch.

As most tow hitches that are manufactured by Brink, Dixon Bate, Witter, PCT etc have side arms that run forward to the chassis rails and spread the load, I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of through bolts. The TD5 is still rated at 3.5 Ton max towing weight and 150kg nose weight just like every vehicle before it. If LR and all the various towbar manufacturers are happy with the limits, then so am I. The farmer that previously owned my Landy used to regularly tow over 4.5 ton around the farm and I havn't seen any signs of stress or flexing.

To put a 12mm bolt through the crossmember with spacer tube requires a fairly large hole cutting in one face or the other to insert the tube, weakening one face. Most of the load would be on a single face anyway.

I have a 2" receiver hitch fitted to my TD5, I have a dixon bate type drop plate fitted to it for normal towing but also brought a second plate from an RV I turned this upside down and fitted the nato hitch to this. works really well helps clear the spare when towing the sankey and maintains the correct height, best thing is it can be removed when not needed so no banging shins on the hitch.

Jason.