new engine details

i recently replaced my old 19j with a 200tdi from a defender.

the mileage on the original engine was 117,000 and the new engine had 96,000.

i have no intentions of selling my 110 EVER ..so from a new buyers perspective its no problemo.

but do i have a legal requirement to inform dvla about the change or...whats the norm?

thanx in advance

i have no intentions of selling my 110 EVER ..so from a new buyers perspective its no problemo.

but do i have a legal requirement to inform dvla about the change or...whats the norm?

thanx in advance

When i changed from 2.25 to 3.5 in my 90 I only informed DVLA of the change in capacity and engine number. I think the mileage is related to the vehicle as a whole. If it wasnt, I guess I would have had to reset my speedo to zero (engine was rebuilt so basically new). Thinking about it, i don't think there was even a section mentioning mileage.

As it stands my odometer just ticked over the 150,000 mark yesterday afternoon...

So just inform them of the change in engine number and capacity (i don't think there is a change in capacity in your case). Make sure you use the stated manufacturer capacity though- as it will make things simpler. For example, instead of declaring my new capacity as 3500cc, it is actually something odd like 3528cc if you read the LR specs. Might be worth checking that the 19J and 200tdi quoted figures dont differ.

thanx in advance

Just get the engine number and capacity changed on your V5C.

Covers you if the vehicle is ever stopped and checked against the DVLA records.

What Top90 said, I've done a few engine swaps and each time you just send off the V5 with a covering letter (just say you've replaced the engine, don't ramble on about modifications or you'll confuse them) and they'll amend it and send it back.

Mileage is meaningless anyway, they record it at MOT but it counts for nothing, my mileage has stayed still (broken speedo) and then gone backwards when I fitted a new one (first MOT after rebuild = 0 miles on the clock) and no-one's ever mentioned it. It's only if someone buys the car and notices the different recorded mileages that you'll have to answer the question.

oooooh you ask a girl such awkward questions :wub: actually neither

i hate authority and even thouigh im insured in england i just drive over here and have never registered .

so i suppose the english is the lesser of 2 weevals.

i was only really wondering what would happen if i was driving in the ukay and got stopped by the law.

maybe ill just send it in when i visit next time ?

It's only an issue if someone (vehicle buyer, police, VOSA, border guard) have to look at your vehicle. Depending who, whre and when determines how difficult life then becomes for you. As stated, usually you just send the V5 back with the new number and it comes back at some point with the right number. Take a copy before you send it though!

is it a legal requirement?

its just a bit harder for me cos im in germany and im assuming theyll get into all sorts of e.u requirements bull****.#you know how they do thing :(

best to inform DVLA of any change of details relating to the V5 doucment, also inform your insurance company as they definitly need to know.

For a while now it has been a requirement that, when you change an engine, you present 'proof of purchase' or a receipt from the garage that fitted it.

Also - make sure you tax it before you send the log book off - they have a 4-6 week turn around on documentation and if they need to ask you anything then you could be in for another 4-6 weeks after that. Since I only found that out after I had posted the form without a receipt, I faced upto 3 months without being able to tax the car. The only alternative (suggested by DVLA) is to pay £25 for a replacement registration document at a local DVLA office - which I did today.

For a while now it has been a requirement that, when you change an engine, you present 'proof of purchase' or a receipt from the garage that fitted it.

What happens if you buy an engine off a mate and fit it yourself?

Also - make sure you tax it before you send the log book off - they have a 4-6 week turn around on documentation and if they need to ask you anything then you could be in for another 4-6 weeks after that. Since I only found that out after I had posted the form without a receipt, I faced upto 3 months without being able to tax the car. The only alternative (suggested by DVLA) is to pay £25 for a replacement registration cocument at a local DVLA office - which I did today.

I just photocopied the V5C and then did it online using the document ref. number.

I did similar. Replaced 19j with a Disco 200tdi. Filled in new engine no. in the "changes" section, amended doc. was back in about 2 weeks. I had a receipt for the new engine, but it wasn't asked for, so not offered. No request for engineer's report on fitting from either DVLA or insurance company.

Should ad that both engines are the same cc. and same fuel in my case (and yours)No questions on mileage.

Since the 200TDi is a newer equivalent replacement (AKA retro-fit in DVLA understandable terms, not a modification or conversion) I would tell them to b*gg*r off if they ask for engineers report etc., it's just a new LR bit bolted in place of the old LR bit and you need to be clear with them that's what it is or they can get all sorts of ideas into their heads about form filling, reports, checks, etc. that really aren't applicable.

T1g up, how might one check that? My block has been around the... well... block, and although I know the last owner was all square, he never put it on any paperwork, so wouldn't have know if there was a problem. I'm going to keep it all kosher, but would like a heads-up before I send the paperwork off.

I did similar. Replaced 19j with a Disco 200tdi. Filled in new engine no. in the "changes" section, amended doc. was back in about 2 weeks. I had a receipt for the new engine, but it wasn't asked for, so not offered. No request for engineer's report on fitting from either DVLA or insurance company.

Should ad that both engines are the same cc. and same fuel in my case (and yours)No questions on mileage.

No engineers report required for DVLA, but a receipt is now required although you may still get away with it. Apparently the situation changed - the man at the DVLA did say but I can't recall when, maybe only a couple of months ago - so on my logbook it did not say that a receipt was required but on the web it says (quote):

"DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). This can be the receipt for the new engine, or written evidence from the manufacturer, insurance company or garage that carried out the change"

So I think that it's probably best if you photocopy your original registration document (I'm not that smart!) and enclose a copy of a receipt for the engine when requesting the change :)

Roger

Exactly my question Fridge.

The DVLA should have no interest in the safety of road worthiness of the conversion/installation, that is an issue for VOSA and the insurance companies.

All they should care about us the vehicle licensing, and ensuring the correct details are on file.

So if you bought a scrap vehicle and did the engine swap yourself, what are the DVLA going to do about it? :rolleyes:

I would guess, give details of the vehicle the engine was removed from along with a receipt for its purchase and records of scrapping the vehicle if required.

Needless to say the purchased "scrap" vehicle should have a traceble history and preferable be registered to you or scrapped which would be tracable to them.

I assume the requirement is mainly to try and cut down or at least curb the use of stolen vehicle parts, of all the bit the engine should be the most tracable. It would be nice to think if your vehicle was stolen and some one else then tried to inform them they had fitted your engine it would set alarm bells going in at the DVLC, this is after all a pretty easy thing for a computer, tracking number is what they are good at.

Hopefully they would then get a visit and asked a few question about where it came from, the chances are they would have bought it in good faith (after all if you KNEW it was stolen would you give the DVLA the right number or tell them at all) but at least it might help close down some of the dealers selling dodgy parts.