Tyre Sizes

v8hybrid

i'm looking to get some new Tyres for my hybrid as my old ones are shagged as been standing so long while car was rebuild. just wanted to know what everyone is running on here. i know 35" is the way to go but don't have that money :( whats the closest in size??

Cheers Ads

i'm looking to get some new Tyres for my hybrid as my old ones are shagged as been standing so long while car was rebuild. just wanted to know what everyone is running on here. i know 35" is the way to go but don't have that money :( whats the closest in size??

Cheers Ads

I just got 35/12.5 r15 bfg mud terains for £100 each that cheapper than 285/75 r16 i did have on the tomb raider B)

A bloke in our club has just bought a set of fedima scirroco's in 235/85 r16, They work very well and stand nearly 33" tall,

But they are neary twice the wieght of my 35"simex, think of all that rotating mass destroying your axles!

I'm replacing my current Simex iminantly and I'll be buying the same again (all be it in a slightly differant size). I've destroyed a couple in last few years and I rate the quality highly. I still think they're the tyre to beat on clay (where I do most driving) but I'm seriously thinking about getting a set of BFG Krawlers as I've been very impressed with they're performance, particulary on boggy or loose, slity ground.

Krawlers aren't road legal are they Will?

Interesting that the fedima simex copy is heavier than a simex, having lifted a 35" Simex I can imagine the damage they could do. Probably very little chance of a rollover though eh!

Will :)

Think it depends on the type of soil you drive on. Round my way its very sandy and extreme trekkers are hopeless as they just dig huge holes. Ask Les about the bottomless holes at Slab common!

The Jungle trekkers are cheaper and seem to work well on sand as do grizzly claws if you air them down.

Have to say I'd like so see something of an in between between a simex and grizzly, but that isnt a re-mould if that makes sense!

I dont have anythign against re-moulds per se, but find the grizzlies expensive when compared to brand new tyre prices!

Jon

Krawlers aren't road legal are they Will?

Yeah, I've heard mixed reports. They've only just started coming into Europe so I think they may get approval. I can't see any reason that'd stop they being legal (construction wise); they are in the States. However, I think I'll find myself trailering the vehicle more and more to events so its not an issue really.

I had annother thought for doing big tyres cheaply; JTs often come up for sale and quite cheaply. They're a good tyre although in some situations they don't work as well as ETs.

Grizzleys pretty cheap here;

GRRR

Yeah, £88 each isn't bad, but as Bruce said earlier, you can buy 35x 12.5 x 15 BFG M/T's for £100... i know they might not be quite as good as the Grizzleys in the mud, but they are an excellent tyre, from a premium manufacturer, and not a remould....

it'd be BFG's for me i'm afraid..... i'm not realy into remoulds.

if you want a deal on tyres, keep an eyes on the classifieds, some 'more money than sense' types seam to change their tyres more often than i change my underpants, i've bought tyres second-hand and got some realy good deals... (brand new ones for £20 each... only little 205's mind)

Yeah, I've heard mixed reports. They've only just started coming into Europe so I think they may get approval. I can't see any reason that'd stop they being legal (construction wise); they are in the States. However, I think I'll find myself trailering the vehicle more and more to events so its not an issue really.

I had annother thought for doing big tyres cheaply; JTs often come up for sale and quite cheaply. They're a good tyre although in some situations they don't work as well as ETs.

Krawlers were developed specifically for rock crawling so I think their super sticky soft compound will be of limited use in the UK? I've 'wheeled' with a brand new set in the US and you could literally see the depth of tread diminishing as the day progressed! Maybe they'd wear better in mud than on rock, but I think for mud the ET's and JT's tread is better suited.

You can however buy Krawlers in the US with a partial tread pattern to allow you cut your own tread into them so you could come up with a stealth like pattern!

Krawlers are notoriously expensive in the US. God knows what price they'll be by the time they get here...

Kev

A problem with a lot of the taller tyre sizes is they are also fatter. Not much comes in say 35x10.5 kind of sizes.

Give me a set of 35-36x10.5x16 Macho's and I'd be a happy man, as I think they are one of the best all round tread patterns.

Give me a set of 35-36x10.5x16 Macho's and I'd be a happy man, as I think they are one of the best all round tread patterns.

its just the name that bothers me.... its a bit 'leather sailers cap' isn't it..... ;)

Krawlers were developed specifically for rock crawling so I think their super sticky soft compound will be of limited use in the UK? I've 'wheeled' with a brand new set in the US and you could literally see the depth of tread diminishing as the day progressed! Maybe they'd wear better in mud than on rock, but I think for mud the ET's and JT's tread is better suited.

You can however buy Krawlers in the US with a partial tread pattern to allow you cut your own tread into them so you could come up with a stealth like pattern!

Krawlers are notoriously expensive in the US. God knows what price they'll be by the time they get here...

Kev

Apparently they do 2 differnat compounds; one a super soft competition one and a slightly harder one. I've seen 2 sets over here and the rubber didn't feel overly soft. In terms of performance I was very suprised; certianly up to Simex ability

its just the name that bothers me.... its a bit 'leather sailers cap' isn't it..... ;)

ROFL :D

Good point Mark90 makes though, if BFGs came in taller sizes I would go for a taller tyre but as 255/85x16s are the the only sensible size they do I will have to stick to those. Must admit to being a bit tempted by 34" Jungle Trekkers at the moment though.

I know someone who is getting shot of four brand new 35/10.5 x 16 fedima scirroco(?) (they look almost the same as a grizzly claw but with the side grippers) if anyone's interested. They are currently fitted to a seriously lifted 90 he bought from S. Wales last week.

I know someone who is getting shot of four brand new 35/10.5 x 16 fedima scirroco(?) (they look almost the same as a grizzly claw but with the side grippers) if anyone's interested. They are currently fitted to a seriously lifted 90 he bought from S. Wales last week.

Fedima Siroccos are remould copies of the Simex Extreme Trekker 'centipede'. I have them in 235/85x16 size (32inch), and am pleased with them so far. They don't make much noise on the road, they seem to handle fine, and I haven't bothered to balance them as vibration is minimal. I use them as my second set for offroad outings (including road travel to and from). They seem perfectly happy at 70 mph on the motorway, though they sap the power a bit. Great offroad. I usually air them down to 15-20 psi for off road.

Regards,

Diff