Clutch fork?

the real muddy90

We've persivered with the 2a for 4 trials now, the first 2 had carb probs but all had trouble getting gears.

When the misses bought it from a mate it became apparent he'd just thrown it back together, I had to undo so much of his bodging! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm kinda thinking that when he put the engine & box back in the new chassis he's done summat stupid with the clutch release thingamajig. But what???

I've taken slack up at the pedal & master cyl but from the slave push rod to the link bit it has huge amount of play, maybe half the push rod :blink: Seems the release bearing isn't coming back far enough.

So.... before I pull the engine or box out (not decided which is easier yet!) any ideas??? :D

Its vital that proper Rover pins are used in the clutch cross shaft. They are very hard and will survive and do the job. Bolts will NOT do - and will quickly shear - which is not necessarily visible until you dismantle it.

I've seen the slave cylinder fitted the wrong side of its bracket on the bellhousing to get more travel. Not recommended but it worked!

I've seen the slave cylinder fitted the wrong side of its bracket on the bellhousing to get more travel. Not recommended but it worked!

I did toy with the idea of fabbing up a longer push rod for the slave cyl :o or putting the slave under the bracket. :blink:

I don't think it would disengage the clutch plate any more though. I'm going to have to ask the guy we got it from if he did anything to the clutch. :rolleyes:

I'll check that ta.

Would it be possible for him to have fitted the wrong clutch??? :rolleyes:

Yes it is possible. A 2a gearbox used to run with a 9" coil spring pressure plate that was superceeded with a diaphragm spring cover that had a boss on the middle to bear on the release sleeve. If some joker has replaced this later 2a cover with a series 3 diaphragm cover cos its cheaper it will cause problems as it does not have a boss in the middle.

P1120164.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is possible. A 2a gearbox used to run with a 9" coil spring pressure plate that was superceeded with a diaphragm spring cover that had a boss on the middle to bear on the release sleeve. If some joker has replaced this later 2a cover with a series 3 diaphragm cover cos its cheaper it will cause problems as it does not have a boss in the middle.

P1120164.jpg

Cheers Phil,

That's actually a great help :D I have asked if the previous owner put a clutch in when he started rebuilding her but he said he didn't split the gear box/engine. That's not to say nobody else has! :rolleyes:

Gives me something to look for when I do get round to it.