Official apology

BogMonster

A long long time ago (well ok about 3 years or so) in a place far far away (well OK the old LRE forum), I said I didn't believe Luvvers when he said he had the rear wheels of a vehicle off the ground pulling down on the front with a Milemarker

I do now :huh:

because I just did the same thing :blink:

Trying to pull "something" out of the rough slipway I launch my boat on, a nasty bit of steel about 1" diameter sticking out of the gravel of the slipway, right in the place where expensive BFGoodriches roll back and forth so I thought no problem, half a dozen turns of the chain round it, hook up and it'll be out in no time..... tried it from every direction but it just dragged the vehicle forward, all wheels locked, so I thought "right then I'll fix you, you B*&^*&^$d"

erm

no :o

gave up with rear wheels about 6" off the ground.... :blink:

Dunno what the hell it is, must go right through to Australia with a spreader plate on the other side I reckon :D gonna have to be a portable generator and grinder job. Sadly I don't have any photos because 1) I didn't have a camera with me (it was going to be a 5 minute job remember) and 2) I had to have foot hard on the brake to stop the vehicle moving.

However I now have another problem ...

P5140038Small.jpg

the abrasion guards didn't go much on that last downwards pull :unsure:

shows how close to the fairlead the hook got before I had to give up, peeled back the tape I had covering up the splice

P5140039Small.jpg

they did the job though, the rope inside is unmarked :)

So, does anybody in the UK sell the tight-fitting abrasion guard? The big blue bit came from Bowyer but that is far too big (I think it is probably supposed to be for tow rope eyes), SteveG got me the thin stuff from the States but I think I read somewhere, that somebody is selling it in the UK now? it is a really snug fit on the rope so doesn't get in the way. I've just cut the damaged bit out for the moment but I could do with a new bit.

Anybody know of a UK supplier??

Ta :)

That's the sort of stuff Chris but even tighter than that if possible, this stuff I have is a snug fit on the line and I found with the bigger stuff it tends to not go through the fairlead smoothly.

Mystery solved: it was an old drill bit, borrowed a generator and cut through it (eventually) with a grinder this afternoon.

Reason it wouldn't come out is that it went down in to the ground and came back up again about 25 yards away!! must have been an old one that was in the rock when the slipway was put down by the military after the war :)

I'll order some more if you want I think a few other people on here wanted some too,

Thanks Steve :)

Where did it come from? seem to remember they did different lengths but can't recall who it was from now, I need to go and look at the website

if you are ordering a few I might get a couple please :)

a bit unlikely if it was 25 yards long :o

more probably one of those twisted steel reinforcing bars put in when the concrete was cast.

No I am sure it was a drill string because where it came out of the ground it was through a rough boulder which happened to have a neat hole drilled through it the same size as the bit of metal :)

it may not have all been one piece of course, but it was the same stuff

also it was hollow (to allow water down to cool/lube I assume) and made of pretty high grade steel (took a while to cut through) definitely not some old bit of reinforcing iron

would have made a mess of a BFG too <_<

The first thing I do when I get a rope is cut thoose gaurds off; they get caught up in the fairlead, don't do much to protect the rope and hold mud. I decided to go for something else instead... Landrox 4x4 have just started making what basicly looks like an 8" wide, 3 ft long winch sail made of very tough material. This also has loops at either end so you can pin it down. Its a superb bit of kit but I don't have a photo of it at the moment. Anyone who's interested, speak to Nick Jennings and tell him I sent you :D

Agree in terms of using it as an abrasion guard Will, but what I like about it is that it provides protection to the rope while on the drum in day to day vehicle use, especially the bit of rope sticking out through the fairlead all the time. When it was full length the bits I had protected that completely and also most of the rope on the drum as almost the whole of the top layer of the rope was covered by abrasion guard so protecting it all from UV, pressure washing etc. If you compared the appearance of the blue stuff now to when I first put it on, the amount it has faded, I think this is worthwhile, and the rope where it was inside the guard is still like new.

I'll order some more if you want I think a few other people on here wanted some too,

Cheers

Steve

Steve

I could do with some please.

Is it sold as a fixed length or can it be bought by the metre (sorry foot in US).

I use 10mm plasma and will use it mainly for UV protection, so enough to cover the final wrap of the drum.

Thanks

John

Steve

I could do with some please.

Is it sold as a fixed length or can it be bought by the metre (sorry foot in US).

I use 10mm plasma and will use it mainly for UV protection, so enough to cover the final wrap of the drum.

Thanks

John

Hi All,

I have plenty in stock - Glasgow - and I am happy to cut it to any length you want.

Regards,

Andy Thomlinson.

www.ruftraks.co.uk

No I am sure it was a drill string because where it came out of the ground it was through a rough boulder which happened to have a neat hole drilled through it the same size as the bit of metal :)

it may not have all been one piece of course, but it was the same stuff

also it was hollow (to allow water down to cool/lube I assume) and made of pretty high grade steel (took a while to cut through) definitely not some old bit of reinforcing iron

would have made a mess of a BFG too <_<

sounds like a great bit of kit then, probably similar to the way the oil rigs send their drill bits into the sea bed.

How about 1" tubular climbing tape? Cost about £1-2 quid a metre retail from your local climbing shop.

Slides on ok. Will go over splice. Only problem is getting it right to end of splice. Very tight for last inch or so. When rope is tensioned I am sure it wil go that last inch.

Have just fitted it. Not used in anger yet.

Regards

Leeds