OT: small generators

BogMonster

Looking at getting a small generator to run power tools etc off.

What are Briggs and Stratton engines like?

I'm tempted to get a Honda on the basis we have had 2 baby Hondas on the farm for about 15 years and they have been thoroughly used and abused, and still start on the first pull, but the B&S ones are either cheaper, or you can get more for the same money.

The two I am looking at are:

Briggs and Stratton

and

Honda

Anybody using anything with a B&S engine in?

when I purchased a new Lawnmower the choices were B&S and Honda

the dealer explained the Honda will always start easier than any B&S

and I found this to be true it starts first pull after being left for weeks.

I also have an Honda 1500w generator old but good.

on another note a local agricultural engineer has an inverter than runs at 1500watts he was usinga 4" grinder off it when I was last there.

not cheap though. made by Durite

I have a lawnmower with a old B&S engine on it & it is very good :) But I had a previous one that had a modern B&S engine & the build of it & the way it run in general was to say the least c**p!!

So regarding B&S I would say they don't make them like they use to!!

But as for a Honda powered generator this would be the one I would have :)

I have used & serviced quite a few of the 3.5Hp to 7 Hp engines & IMHO they are great little power units!

Hope this helps,

Regards,

I have a lawnmower with a old B&S engine on it & it is very good :) But I had a previous one that had a modern B&S engine & the build of it & the way it run in general was to say the least c**p!!

So regarding B&S I would say they don't make them like they use to!!

But as for a Honda powered generator this would be the one I would have :)

I have used & serviced quite a few of the 3.5Hp to 7 Hp engines & IMHO they are great little power units!

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Hondas are just brilliant, I know that I can rely on that :)

It's a shame they don't make something similar to a Defender really, it would never break. Instead of which they make that stupid Hormone Replacement Vehicle or whatever it stands for :rolleyes:

I've got one of those 2200 Honda genny's. Great bit of kit, not had a lot of use and often long periods with no use and yet still always easy to start, even on old petrol. Tend to use my chinese 2 stroke 650W one more as it's easier to lug about, so the Honda only comes out when I need more power.

Thanks, good to have a direct recommendation of that model :)

It's only going to be very occasional use, so not worth buying two, I think I'll get the Honda to have the extra capacity, I will (if necessary) be able to use things like a pressure washer off it. It's only 35kg so not too hard to chuck in the back of the vehicle if needed. I also expect it will fit in a wheelbarrow (Dad's little EB1500 does) which is an easy way to cart them around :)

That thing you have is ridiculously cheap! the little portable ones on the site I was looking at are mostly more expensive than the Honda :huh: so cheap it is almost worth getting one as well! How many amps does it put out at 12V? worth getting as a middle-of-nowhere battery charger....

That thing you have is ridiculously cheap! the little portable ones on the site I was looking at are mostly more expensive than the Honda :huh: so cheap it is almost worth getting one as well! How many amps does it put out at 12V? worth getting as a middle-of-nowhere battery charger....

Most of the expensive little / low ouput genny's are the quiet running ones, good for use on campsites etc. The cheap chinese one I have isn't quiet, but it's not excessive, and you can't hear it over the grinder anyway. Over here these genny's are sold under lots of different non-descript brands. At the shows etc you see loads of them about, and there's usually at least one stall selling them. Cheap and cheerful is how I'd describe it.

Not sure what the 12V output is, never had cause to use it, will check when I get home and see what it says.

I have a 2.2KVA Briggs and Stratton generator. It is older than I am and starts first pull 9 times out of 10. If I were buying new then it would be a Honda though. In fact, I would buy a petrol jetwash and cut out the middle man since all I use it for is running the jetwash. :)

Chris

I've got one of these: Chinese Inverter Gen - which produces a pure sine-wave output, is quite stabilised and very low noise.

I'm quite impressed with it all things considered. The nearest equivalent honda is over four times the price!

I just bought it for shows & the increasing number of power cuts here.

Mine came from a popular auction site and was sufficiently cheap that I'll not be too pi55ed if it gets nicked.

Si