Tesco..........

disco_al

was out and about this afternoon and came accross aV> LARGE tesco's. I think I'll just........................ well joy of joys,It was rammed! there was another chap in there too, with the same idea, and between us we stripped the place, I HAD 58, HE ONLY GOT ABOUT 20,its all about multiple trollying,, you grab a trolley, (there free in tesco) stuff it full, then push it round the corner with some beans or bread on top, then go get another trolley , ditto, people wont touch someone elses trolley!, so when you got about 6 trolleys dotted throught the BIG store, you casually go and get one, put back the bread and beans, and go to a different checkout each time. :) Simples :ph34r:

Pour 30 litres of veg oil in

Pour 30 litres of diesel in

Start her up :)

In summer i used to go up to about 60 / 40 maybe a touch more veg if i was feeling cheeky.... Veg used to be 42p a litre a couple years ago ;)

Well thats how i've run my pajero, shogun, peugeot, discovery etc :)

G

You do smell like a deep fat frier thought as you trundle down the street... It tickles me the enthusiasm the offer has triggered, I have to admit it beats straining the bits out of the local chippy frying oil.

mine waa delivered last night :) the driver thought i was opening a chip shop :D until i explained it to him - he's now going to add some to his LDV van....

60 litres added last night to about 30 litres of diesel (so roughly 66/33 split oil to diesel) and it's running ok, it's a bit more smokey when the turbo kicks in, so will top up with diesel in a few days to dilute it a bit more. she does pull a lot better and sounds quieter too :)

apparently thats the problem with running a TD5 on veg, the injectors only last 10k of constant use with veg oil. Although thats hear say as there seems to be a distinct lack of info on TD5's and veg oil, despite the engine apparently being developed to run on any old carp. the story goes the US military ran it on a mix of hydraulic oil and kerosene.

I'll just stick my head in here and add this:

Some engines will run quite happily on veg oil with no noticeable difference from diesel.

Some engines will tolerate veg oil (This applies to LR TDi engines only)

Some engines will tolerate veg oil for a bit before expiring catastrophically (Pre TDi, i.e. 2.25/2.5/2.5TD)

Some will most likely expire before you even turn the key (Td5, anything with an electric in tank pump)

The above applies only to simply stuffing some in the tank - it is possible to convert some engines to run on the stuff without much major hassle. There is a whole load of criteria that need to be considered before deciding whether or not an engine can be run on veg, and the ratio of veg/diesel.

So just before advising anyone to just chuck some in, be a little careful - it may result in knackered fuel injection equipment (Lucas pumps spring to mind)

An LR TDi engine though, is fairly bomb proof in the fuel department. In this weather, a 50/50 mix veg/diesel should be fine. More or less anything else will tolerate 10% veg in the tank - but do some research before trying it!

More info here: Veggy forum

From what I can tell from hastily Googl'd images, the Perkins Prima TD has a BoschVE injection pump similar to the LR TDi. If so, then treat as an LR TDi - i.e. 50% mix should be fine.

Best way to tell is look at the back end of the injection pump where the high pressure lines emerge. If it's square, it's likely a Bosch. If not, post up some pics and I'll do my best to identify.

i have been running veg for about 2 years on my 300tdi - never had any probs except once when it was 100% mix it sounded like the engine was going to tap its self to pieces.... added £20 worth of disel and suddenly went ok again.

i always run a 50/50 mix (at a guess) now and add a tiny amount of petrol in the winter. (only beacuse i have 40L's of mixed fuel when my dad filled his diesel up with petrol)

cheers

Roy - I'm not sure if the Perkins is a direct injection engine or not. Do be aware that long term problems may include ring gumming and polymerisation of the sump oil.

Best thing to do is just keep an eye on the level in the sump. If it starts going up, then you may suffer some problems.

The design of the LR TDi engine is such that the charge of fuel is normally kept fairly well contained in the piston crown. However, this isn't necessarily true for all direct injection engines.

I have managed to resist getting involved here, but.......

Why is no one suggesting running on used oil, which is free (mostly).

I'm not suggesting using as is but converting to bio diesel. I haven't bought real diesel for 3 years. (OK the odd litre or two when caught away from home.)

I started off buying Methanol and Caustic in not ridiculous quantities and process in my garage with a processor built from scrap which cost less than £10.

Nowadays I buy large quantities of Methanol, particularly, in order to keep costs down so my fuel costs in the region of 12p a litre.

I will supply chemicals, to anyone who will pick them up, for reasonable cost if you want to have a go.