wooddruff key

hi all

about one week ago i noticed the crankshaft pulley had a bit of play so i said id investigate it, ive been stripping my way down to the pulley every evening and just got the pulley off today :rolleyes: the woodruff key has made its mark on the left side off the key hole now it looks like i could fit two keys in there one the right way in and the other upside down :angry::( :(

so ive ordered a new pulley and key but i have no idea what to do with the key hole so im hoping some one here has experienced this problem and was able to solve it, :) im going out to take some photos now so i can give you a better idea of this mess im in

liam

You could try to repair that with chemical metal. Take a lot of time degreasing & cleaning the crank first though or it won't stick. Or maybe drill though the pulley & crank to fit a pin to take the loads off the key.

The reason why the slot is worn is probably due to the pulley not being done up tight enough. The torque on the nut should be what actually holds the pulley in place. The key is used for location and should not be taking any great load. What does the slot in the pulley look like?

my mothers 90 has had that problem,

the pully was still done up tight, must just of been wear and tear,

i used the chimical metal on the,

i stuck the woodruff key in with the chimical metal and let it set,,

has worked a treat. as long as you get the key flush with the flat side that has NOT worn

cheers

sam

Is there any way of repairing the wear on these with weld? Could weld the key in (probably not recommended) or fill the worn side with weld and re-shape it with a dremel type tool so the key fits tightly again.

I have a piece of Brass the same size as the key, when i repair these i put the brass where the key should be and then mig it up and grind it back carefully

Perfect. Should think that works a treat.

a whole new crankshaft????????? :o

here s the pics

That is exactly how the crank ended up on a previously owned 2.5 TD. I bedded the key in with liquid metal and re fitted the pulley. You may want to change the seal while you have it apart because the pulley wobblig around may have damaged it. Mine went on for a couple of years and for all I know may still be going.

recently repaired mine as the puley had come loose resulting in injector pump timing issues etc.

I used araldite to secure key, then filled the dent up with araldite and when set filed it back.

All good after 2,000 miles or so.

The reason why the slot is worn is probably due to the pulley not being done up tight enough. The torque on the nut should be what actually holds the pulley in place. The key is used for location and should not be taking any great load. What does the slot in the pulley look like?

the pulley has marks on the inside from the key