Correct headlamp behaviour.

I don't have a stock vehicle here to check against and am just wiring the headlamps and I wanted to be 100% sure I was getting things right as I've had vehicles in the past that did things in different ways. When the headlamp switch is in position 1 the marker lights are on but the headlamps are off, in position 2 the headlamps are on and in high or low beams depending on the forward/backward position of the control stalk with the horn on it.

I assume this is the 'stock' configuration?

I'm also pondering the best way to convert things over so the headlamps and marker lamps are always on when the vehicle is running. I suppose then I should just bypass the switch altogether and add a 3rd relay (right now I have one low, one high beam) and then connect those to ignition power, then just use the switch for aux lighting or something.

I don't have a stock vehicle here to check against and am just wiring the headlamps and I wanted to be 100% sure I was getting things right as I've had vehicles in the past that did things in different ways. When the headlamp switch is in position 1 the marker lights are on but the headlamps are off, in position 2 the headlamps are on and in high or low beams depending on the forward/backward position of the control stalk with the horn on it.

I assume this is the 'stock' configuration?

Yep, that's how its supposed to be.

I'm also pondering the best way to convert things over so the headlamps and marker lamps are always on when the vehicle is running. I suppose then I should just bypass the switch altogether and add a 3rd relay (right now I have one low, one high beam) and then connect those to ignition power, then just use the switch for aux lighting or something.

You could, but remember to leave the high / low (dip beam / main beam over here) switch in the circuit! Out of interest, why do want to do this? I can see the sense on cutting the headlights when the ignition is off.

OK thanks, mostly increased safety. I would also fit an override switch to cut the lights if needed but we mandate daytime running lights here on all new vehicles for a good reason, adding the marker lights is just sensible and since they're LED I'm not worried about any additional current draw. It is common here for people to forget to turn on their headlamps because they see their DRLs, which means they end up with no rear marker lights, I figure it's just better to not have to worry.

he only difference in the wiring would be to take the power for the low beam relay and marker light relay from accessory and leave the high on the stalk controls.

Thanks for confirming I got the stock setup correct, always best to start from a known working setup. :)

With this approach, there is no additional complexity beyond what is needed to properly setup the battery direct power feed which is normally done anyway. I don't see a downside.

If you ua five pin change over relay. Wire the DLR though ign so they are on with ign. Then use a wire fron the sidelight to trigger the relay the dlrs will switch off at night.

I've used this on my GKN overdrive as an inhibitor switch.

HTH