Oh b***ger there goes the wiring loom

Out for a blast on Sunday and all of sudden I get one almighty noise which sounds like something has snapped and is repeatedly banging against the engine, pull in and find a shed load of wiring wrapped around the drive shaft.

Interesting I think, as I pull it all clear, thought I've picked it up while running through a puddle.

Go to pull away and the indicators are flashing quick, ( a blown bulb he thinks ). Get out to check and realise all the rear lights have gone, plus the rear heater and wiper and wash.....mmm what could that be

Take another look at the wiring, ( covered in waxoly and a bit shredded ) and realise its the rear wiring loom, that must have come undone and has wrapped itself around the shaft and ripped the whole thing out

Ouch !

I hoping not THAT big, only the back end needs replacing, still have complete elec power to everything in the front, lights, dash, indictors, wipers etc

All seems to come from a single junction of male/female sockets directly infront of the drivers side in the bonnet

Goes into Stratstones on Friday to find out.......

ohhhh noo....not good! that sounds like a pig to sort out! new loom?

I don't think it will be that bad, you could either make up your own loom or buy some multicore cable (trailer cable or simliar) to re run the loom,

If you fit a multi plug on the engine end it could make your life connecting it eaiser and depending on where it has broken do the same at the rear, if it has pulled the wires out the lights now may be a time to consier swaping them for NAS type lights.

You can pick up multiplugs fairly cheaply and it is really not that difficult to replace,

It could be far worse, now the engine loom would be a nightmare.....

Electrics are the only thing I'm not 100% comfortable with, and I was thinking a rear end rewire may be just that little too big to start with

The loom that I removed is about 1m in length, so I doubt its pulled it out of the lights, as nothing is trailing underneath and what I can see of the lights, they all still have wires connected.

I'm hoping they might just patch the wires together and fit a multi plug, but this is a main dealer ....

Electrics are the only thing I'm not 100% comfortable with, and I was thinking a rear end rewire may be just that little too big to start with

The loom that I removed is about 1m in length, so I doubt its pulled it out of the lights, as nothing is trailing underneath and what I can see of the lights, they all still have wires connected.

I'm hoping they might just patch the wires together and fit a multi plug, but this is a main dealer ....

Where are you located? I wouldnt take it to a main dealer unless you have lots of money if you don't want to sort it out yourself an auto electrition will fix it for you for far less than LR main dealer. Land Rover will just change the loom for a new one and charge you £90+ an hour for the privlige... You may be lucky if you let us know where you are someone on here may help you repair it, as I say it's really not a big job, multiplugs can be brought from Maplins and alike and cable is fairly cheap you can test the lights etc with a 12v feed before choping out the bad bit, the loom originaly goes through the Chassis but if it got caught up it may have been moved and not secured which would have caused your problem but also make it a lot eaiser to replace..

Jason.

As Western says, if you can locate the end plugs you are halfway there. If there is a scrappy near new you might be able to get a rear loom off a suitable donor.

You might find replacing the loom easier than you think. My introduction to auto-electrics was replacing the front loom of a car when a bit of temporary wiring to a radio shorted and caused a nice fry-up!! :(:unsure: I had to rewire all the gauges & alternator etc!

I got a suitable from loom from a scrap car and it took me a about 14 hours in total.

Steve