BRITPART - The good bits?

Maverik

By the way, I don't work for Britpart!!! I'm just getting tired of trying to avoid buying Britpart.

Anyone got any calipers from them?

Yes - they are fine. Went straight on, look to be ok quality and so far (about a year but only a few thousand miles) they are great. Well as great as they can be bearing in mind the carp design of the originals that they copy...

Also got a teflon coated swivel housing and seal kit - that's fine too although I used a lot of shims fitting it..

I'm surprised that no one from the co. hasn't responded after all the criticism!

Thing is, whenever i read any of the threads where anyone has tried to return anything faulty to them, you get the impression that they just dont care, so that is probably why they never respond.

serp belt tensioner on my 300tdi is britpart and thats been on there for 3 years so far and still doesnt squeek or have play in the bearing.

I;m conveniently ingoring the fact the first one i fitted the casing literally exploded after 2 days - but the replacement they finally sent out 2 weeks later is doing fine.

I rebuilt both front hubs on a ltwt last week - including the hub seal. Leather/steel type seal and seemed ok. The customer phoned me yesterday to say that both front hub seals are leaking. They lasted about 20 miles (stubs are fine).

Les.

I rebuilt both front hubs on a ltwt last week - including the hub seal. Leather/steel type seal and seemed ok. The customer phoned me yesterday to say that both front hub seals are leaking. They lasted about 20 miles (stubs are fine).

Les.

Not trying to do the eggs/granny thin here, but thought I would mention this for anyone who doesn't know about leather oil seals..

30 years ago when I replaced some seals on the S1 (I honestly can't remember which seals but it was drive-train related) with the correct LR leather ones, I was told that leather ones always leak for a while until the leather gets fully soaked and bedded in, and that some carry on leaking a "little bit" anyway since leather is a natural (and therefore variable) substance and can't be expected to be totally uniform. That may be BS, but it sounds reasonable to me...

He also said was that it would help if I soaked them in oil for a couple of days prior to fitting, and when passing the shaft through the new seal to be extra careful to protect it from splines etc since the oil-soaked leather is easily damaged in this way.

A friend at the time with a 1945 Jeep with it's original Go-Devil engine reckoned that "once bedded in, a leather seal will out-last any plastic carp" - an opinion borne out by his re-using the original American crank seal when he replaced the mains a few months later. He was quite a character who would drive his open sided Jeep home from Nottingham to Dorset for a weekend visit to his parents in the middle of winter wearing a flying jacket and with a tarp wrapped around him to keep dry - but that's another story :)

I've just replaced the rear hub on a mates disco Td5.he came with a sh*tpart box.even though he paid the pricely sum of £185 they still couldn't be arsed to put a new o ring on the hub.only found out after refilling the axle and watching brand new oil running out the hub.all for the sake of a 50p o ring.

USELESS IDIOTS

Although, tried replacing the axle dust caps with Britpart. They are plastic not rubbery, and don't even fit on the drive member.

You need to dunk them in very hot water until pliable, pick out, dry and pop on before they cool. They shrink on and NOTHING leaks out anymore!

Not trying to do the eggs/granny thin here, but thought I would mention this for anyone who doesn't know about leather oil seals..

30 years ago when I replaced some seals on the S1 (I honestly can't remember which seals but it was drive-train related) with the correct LR leather ones, I was told that leather ones always leak for a while until the leather gets fully soaked and bedded in, and that some carry on leaking a "little bit" anyway since leather is a natural (and therefore variable) substance and can't be expected to be totally uniform. That may be BS, but it sounds reasonable to me...

He also said was that it would help if I soaked them in oil for a couple of days prior to fitting, and when passing the

I will second this. I used to use leather seals on my SIII. I was advised by my local supplier to soak them in oil for a week before fitting. Always did the trick for me.

V8 thermostats! Amazingly... doh cursed it now!

I have been playing swap the thermostat for months now. First a Bearmach item, this never let the engine warm up unless worked really hard.

Then I bought a genuine item in despair from my local stealer. This nearly cooked the engine! It warmed up pretty quick and didn't open till nearly too late.

Then I fitted a B***p**t item that was lying about but I'd avoided using so far. To my astonishment is works spot on and has been all week ;) .

Each unit was fitted at least twice to check for faulty fitting/system bleeding. In the end I spent an evening boiling up some thermostat soup :lol:

BM unit starts to open at 75 deg C, fully open by 80 deg

LR unit starts to open at 92 deg, fully open by 99 deg

BP unit starts to open at 86 deg, fully open by 90 deg.

These are all marked as 88 degree stats!

Fingers, legs and everything else are firmly crossed.

Ok, controversial topic I know, but Britpart can’t all be bad?? what have people got installed/used that hasn’t had a problem?

Please don't take this post as a place to whinge about unreliable, poor quality parts. I'm trying to take the glass is half fill perspective here!

Cheers

Mav

Look at it this way .......... its a bit like polishing a turd .......... it might look shiny but its still a turd.

i just bought a stainless steel cat-back exhaust that came from britpart. it's well made, fitted right and looks good. i'm quite happy with it.

i also bought a britpart master cylinder for my series 3, about 6 years ago, it's still fitted and working fine.

i've used britpart chassis parts too, without problems. although paddocks refused to sell me a pair of front chassis legs once because the ones in stock were badly made.

• 1 month later...