Annoying noise

FOS1

Hi all, i have an old disco 1 tdi. It's started to make an annoying squeak when am driving. It starts at about 10 mph and stops at about 55/60mph. The strange thing is that it only does it when the engine is under load. As soon as you let your foot of the gas it stops. I know it's nothing to do with the enging cos i only fitted it about 2 weeks ago and the noise was there with the old engine. The aut' p/s/p, water pump & injector/pump are from the old engine. It could be any of the above but it could be something else. But it's an expencive job changing everything to fault find. It's not got worse but it's not got better. The noise is loud, and it is not there when your not moving (if you rev the engine when stood it's not there this tells me it could be something with the drive train)

Has anyone come across this before?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Paul@Donny

Hummm.....food for thought. I've just replaced the hand break cable.....about the time the squeak started. Prop was of then..... time to give it a good coat of looking at

Thanks

I agree with K88 MUD. Dry or worn uj. My 300tdi had the same thing and decided to replace them. took one out and found two worn ends which had grease in them, one not too worn with grease and the fourth contained no needle pins at all and was bone dry, not a sign of grease for a while (only owned it for a few months at the time)

HTH

Bri

Thanks for the replys guys, but last night i may have found out what the problem was. I had to change my pants when it happened. One of the rear (off side) lower link arms broke. Well not the arm but the bracket thats welded to the axel has broke free fron the axel. I think that maybe over the past few weeks its been rubbing a little untill it broke free, and thats the noise i could hear. I could be wrong but thats what it's looking like.

Has any one else had one of the brackets brake free before. I called Paddock today and they are cheep enough at £7.05 and they have over 100 in stock. Now is that telling me that they can not sell them or is that telling me that its a common fault?

Thanks again to you all

Paul@donny

I had Anti-Roll bar brackets brake off of the chassis ...

Land rover decided that a few 2mm long welds along the brackes would be enough to hold on the bracket, which is true for 17 years, but obviously not for over that. Defenders interestingly enough are fully welded around the braket, and these were for an optional extra...

Ended up just removing the ARB anyway...

just a little poke at Land Rovers ability to build cars

Eeyore

Well i dont know about Land Rovers ability to build cars but i think its about as good as it gets. Mines done over 285k and there was nothing wrong with the engine but i had to change it through my own stupid fault. It went through the MOT last year first time and i had done next to nothing for it to do that. At the age that mine is i do expect things to start going wrong, but i bet you now when my Merc' gets that old it will have been in the scrap yard a long time.

Its old but its paid for. I could not do without it. Only a few weeks ago i took a lorry gear box to the south of Italy with it and i got about 29MPG. Its over the fields every day going to the horse it pulls a horse box i use it for work so its full of tools every day......what more could you ask for in a car of this age.

I was reading somewhere that over 98% of Land Rover parts made are been used today on another Land Rover in one way or another today, so re-cycling is also a good point for it as well. I know they have their faults but nothing is megger money to put right. A little bit of welding.......thats nothing.

Am sorry if i've gone a bit but come on if you didnt like Land Rovers you wouldnt have one.

Paul@donny