200tdi dampener question

Tonk

i seem to wear out the dampener on my 200tdi where it runs in the seal where it goes in the timing casing, i know its bound to wear cos i drive in carp :( but they seem to wear a groove in the running face pretty quickly, anyone got some brilliant suggestion to slow wear rate?

i think i remember somewhere about a sleeve that repairs seal faces but cant find em on the net, anyone know of em? r they stainless steel? would take more time to wear a groove if i fitted one?

TIA

Mark.

Yes you can get repair sleeves from any bearing retailer. they're quite expensive however. I've no idea what they're made of as I've never trid to use one.

That said are you using genuine oil seals and genuine dampers? It could be pattern part seals are made of a more agressive material etc.

Jon

well i'm working within certain time constraints so i'm going to buy a new one so i can get the motor back up and running then look into welding and skimming, anyone ever tried this?

well i'm working within certain time constraints so i'm going to buy a new one so i can get the motor back up and running then look into welding and skimming, anyone ever tried this?

I've done it! - on a stub axle as an emergancy fix. It's difficult to get a decent weld - I imagine the surface is heat treated and just didn't like taking weld. The idler pulleys are cast rather than machined - which will only make the weld more problematic.

Once I skimmed the surface on the lathe, there were lots of little cracks where the weld joined the base metal and I figured these would just eat the seal double quick.

I wound up skimming off about 4mm thickness and turning up a stainless ring to press on. The new surface was pretty good. The speedy-sleeves however look like a much better idea if the size is available.

I'd say it's worth a go - even if it doesn't work, you can still sleeve it.

Si