Defender axle query

tbeagley

Hi all,

Just been given a series 3 (stored in a garage for the last 20 years)& need to get it home on a trailer as it has been partly stripped. The back axle is out & in peices & it's up on blocks. Would a defender axle fit just to roll it onto a trailer?

Cheers,

Terry.

post-21430-127498157559_thumb.jpg

And how would you attach the Defender axle to the series 3 chassis?? :unsure: It is also wider so even if you did attach it with say ratchet straps or temporary welding you may find the wheels would then foul on the body work.

You may be able to use it to roll the vehicle by hand or winch, but not to drive under its own power - the Defender axle has no brackets compatible with the series suspension, so you'd probably just have to attach it with ratchet straps. I'd be careful to add direct support between its chassis and the trailer bed, too, as you don't want to risk the Series falling off if the axle slips on the springs. Perhaps 6 straps to hold the axle directly against the bump stops, with one each side around axle and chassis rail and the other four used in pairs fore and aft at each end to prevent the axle moving longitudinally?

You may be able to use it to roll the vehicle by hand or winch, but not to drive under its own power - the Defender axle has no brackets compatible with the series suspension, so you'd probably just have to attach it with ratchet straps. I'd be careful to add direct support between its chassis and the trailer bed, too, as you don't want to risk the Series falling off if the axle slips on the springs. Perhaps 6 straps to hold the axle directly against the bump stops, with one each side around axle and chassis rail and the other four used in pairs fore and aft at each end to prevent the axle moving longitudinally?

Thanks snagger, i dont intend to drive it, just needed some way of rolling it onto a trailer,

Cheers,

Terry.

Simonb, if i knew how i would atatch it i wouldn't have asked. I was just after some constuctive advice, not sarcasm!!!

Cheers

just dropped a PM your way, I have a set of these [see attached] that might be useful to help load/unload,

we could ratchet strap the LR to the poles & winch it onto the trailer, I'm able to assist Sat or Sun, out on safety duty Monday at the ALRC 2010 Nationals at Newnham Park, Plymouth.

post-20-127499421514_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

just dropped a PM your way, I have a set of these [see attached] that might be useful to help load/unload,

we could ratchet strap the LR to the poles & winch it onto the trailer, I'm able to assist Sat or Sun, out on safety duty Monday at the ALRC 2010 Nationals at Newnham Park, Plymouth.

Hi Western,

Sorry, only just seen your post about trolley.

Sreies 3 now back at home,my driveway was the biggest problem but got it up there in the end.

You are welcome to come round & have a look any time.

I hear Newnham park was a good event?

Cheers,

Terry.