Gearbox help

Hi chaps,

I'm planning on upgrading my 19J with a discovery 200tdi, I have a complete disco for the conversion. The existing lt77 gearbox in the 90 has an issue with the synchro between 3rd down to 2nd. Can anyone help me with a few questions? How difficult is it to fix the synchro? Or can the levers be altered on the disco box to fit the 90 levers? Or option 3 do I need to fork out for a recon box?

Any help is always appreciated,

Robin

Disco box can not be altered,so forget about that option. Your old LT77 is of course fixable, but it is up to you to decide if you have the skill. Recon box is the safest option and i can recommend you to get a R380 with short bellhousing from Ashcroft. Its gear ratios suits the diesel engine much better than the LT77.

Thanks very much! I had already had a quick look at the Ashcroft boxes, they look good. Have you got an R380 twinned to a 200tdi in yours? Do you use the oil cooling?

Robin

Edited by Miserableolgit
Please submit your post once only once. See thread at top of this page regarding new users

I most certainly do. ;) No, no oil cooler, hardly necessary unless you drive hard in really hot climates i think.

I can add that the R380 really transformed the driving compared to the old LT77. The latter was probably something readily available back then, but its gearing simply doesn't suit a diesel with practical top revs of about 3.000.

Thanks very much! I had already had a quick look at the Ashcroft boxes, they look good. Have you got an R380 twinned to a 200tdi in yours? Do you use the oil cooling?

Robin

Yes to 200Tdi/R380 combination in my 110, No to oil cooler for the gearbox, doesn't get hot enough for me to fit one, though I have been thinking about adding one, when funds allow.