Ground Tent Reccomendation Wanted

Top90

When I got the Camel, it already had a Maggiolina roof tent on it. But it means the roof rack is mostly full and it won't get used very often.

So I am thinking of selling it and buying a ground tent.

I've seen various threads debating which is best, ground or roof, but with some experienced campers on this site I'm looking for a reccomendation for a good ground tent for two adults and a toddler.

I'm not looking for a budget option, I'm looking for something easy to put up, durable and well made.

Thanks. :)

PS. The sum of my camping experience is three weeks in an Eazi-Awn in Morocco. That's all.

There are really only 4 names in the Tent market that matter. Something from these guys is really top shelf stuff.

1. Hilleberg

2. Terra Nova

3. The North Face

4. Mountain Hardwear.

I have probably spent more nights in a tent, than I have under a roof, and would not choose a model from any manufacturer other than the above.

The Terra Nova Quasar (in standard trim...heavy duty is overkill) would be my personal stand-out choice. Not cheap, but buy it and you will never have to replace it. They are the weapon of choice for mountain base camp & high altitude mountaineering expeditions.

What ever you go for, if you want strength & rigidity (and therefore a more comfortable nights sleep) get a geodesic dome design.

I would add Greensport Caprivi, Campmor. Tentco and any dome canvas tent made on soujthern Africa.

We've just sold a Greesport Caprive and bought a Outwell Trout Lake, used it one weekend and very happy with it. Again it's a canvas tent.

Take a look at the higher-end MEC tents, they're usually well made copies of popular models and good and solid for likely half the cost. If you want lightweight then a Hilliberg or Black Diamond is hard to beat, a Megamid is super-light for size but has no bottom.

Thanks for the replies.

It does not need to be lightweight as it'll go in the back of the 110, for use on odd weekends and then later on trips that are vehicle based in the 110 or another Land Rover.

I looked at the Terra Nova Quasar, they also do a slightly larger one called a Super Quasar and then a Hyperspace which is bigger still. Prices are not too bad with prices around 350 to 450.

I'm thinking I'll need more space with the little one and other half than a 2 man, so one of the above would be ideal... it's just working out what's best and if there is anything from another top make that would be more suitable. There's more choice than when you are looking for a Land Rover! :blink:

I figure if I put the Maggolina roof tent on ebay it'll more than pay for the tent and I'll get my roofrack back, as it's never been used. (Roof tent was already fitted on the camel when I got it and was brand new!)

Yep I agree. Both our girls were in their own tent by they were five. Frankly I think a nylon tent will be at it's use by date then.

I see you're in Essex. Why not nip over the river to Canvey Island and go to Camping and General. Follow the ASDA signs.

Frankly I think a nylon tent will be at it's use by date then.

If you get one of these rubbish nylon tents that cost around £80, then yes, they will be showing their age in 4 years time.

However, my North Face Mountain 24 (almost £500 worth of tent) is 10 years old and it still looks like the day I bought it. It has been on countless mountaineering trips on several continents & when I used it for back-packing, has been around the world once or twice.

In the price-range you are talking you can get something very good that will last you your lifetime. By their very nature, mountaineering quality tents are easy to erect (they have to be - your survival may depend on it) and are designed to resist the most atrocious weather.

I stand by my earlier advice: go with one of the names I suggested and make sure you get -

1. A geodesic dome design

2. Ripstop nylon as a material for the flysheet. Make sure all joins between panels have at least 4 lines of stitching, preferably 6 lines of stitching where the fly and groundsheet meet. Anything that has a groundsheet that looks like its made from something that you would buy potatoes in - walk away, that material does not belong on a tent.

3. Heavy duty tear resistant ground sheet. I accidentaly put the tip of an ice-axe through the floor of one of my old tents and it never got bigger than the initial tear of about 8mm. A lesser ground sheet would have been a foot long by the end of the trip.

4. All seams have been taped twice - if only one tape sealant, run clear silicone over all the seams.

5. Aluminium poles with strong shock-corded joints, not the cheap fibreglass-like stuff with a bit of elastic in it.

6. Expedition pegs are a blessing. They are strengthened, angled Aluminium pegs that cant bend when driven in but weigh no more than those awful old pegs that always get bent.

7. It goes without saying that YKK zips are the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you want something you can sit in, change a nappy, etc etc? Something you can spend a long weekend playing cards in when it's raining?

Whilst I am a big fan of Terra Nova tents, I really don't think that I'd want to spend a long, wet weekend with a child in a TN Quasar.

I have just bought Mikes 3mx3m canvas dome tent. Takes minutes to put up and has loads of room inside for table, chairs, camp beds and such like. Also has plenty of standing room.

Having camped since I was a cub scout, and slept, carried and put-up most types of tents I think for your needs something like a canvas dome would be great. If you'd rather have seperate living/sleeping areas (we don't) then from what I have seen the Khyams stand up to bad weather well, are simple to erect and have a good reputation.

Really I am looking for something to be able to sit up in and just for overnight stops for weekends for now. Eventually it'll probably be used for trips in Europe and Morocco, so being quick to put up and take down would be a bonus.

Space for three adults or more would be perfect.

I looked at ones you could stand up in, but discounted them as being bigger I assumed a long time to put them up each night.

Just one central room for everyone is fine.

Richard

Have you considered an OZTent? - http://uk.oztent.com/Oztent%2DShop/

As you will still have the roofrack it can travel on top. It's a 2m long sausage when folded about 25cm in diameter.

I used one in Morocco this April along with another family of six that used two.

Very easy to set up, two to five minutes depending how many guy lines you wish to peg down, it can stand without any.

Full adult standing room for 60% of area, excellent ventilation and mesh screens and an awing to the front that can have sides and end added, doubling the available space for shade or rain.

They also have a mesh inner for the awning giving bug screening if required.

You would have plenty of room for two adults on camp beds and a child travel cot in versions RV3,4 & 5.

John

Really I am looking for something to be able to sit up in and just for overnight stops for weekends for now. Eventually it'll probably be used for trips in Europe and Morocco, so being quick to put up and take down would be a bonus.

Space for three adults or more would be perfect.

I looked at ones you could stand up in, but discounted them as being bigger I assumed a long time to put them up each night.

Just one central room for everyone is fine.

We searched long and high for a tent meeting just those requirements and settled on Mikes 3mx3m canvas dome. We couldn't justify the price of an Oz Tent despite wanting one for over a year, but now we have this dome and have been in a few Oz Tents we are happy that we have made the right choice. It really is quick to put up. Steel poles so they don't break. You lay it out square, lay the steel pole on top in a cross and clip the top three canvas eyes to the poles. Then one of us stands inside to lift it up from the centre whilst the other goes round and locates the poles in the four corners. Once done, I step out, and we both clip the canvas to the frame. Job done. If it's windy a couple of pegs are enough to secure it.

Inside it is huge (2.9m high at the centre!), outside it does only take up 3mx3m. It is heavy canvas so you can walk on it whilst pitching etc.

A poor phone picture is all I have at the moment but you get the idea.

post-12723-127598752989_thumb.jpg