Will Rover 75 Key fob work with Disco 2 (2000)

DaveA

My disco 2 is now down one key fob. I am relatively familiar with programming / sync'ing new fobs into the ECU, and have done this successfully a few times.

I have bought a Valeo fob from a Rover 75, which I "believed" to be compatible. I have tried an RF test, and the ECU indicates that it receives a signal, from an un-programmed key. I have then entered the 6 digit code from the internal sticker, but the key still isn't recognised.

Although the fob looks similar, I noticed some small differences, one being a small chip lodged in the back cover??

Has anyone ever done this, or are their different design level fobs for Rover 75's, or indeed Disco 2's ??

OK - Did a bit of research on this, so here goes ...

There is a significant difference between the Disco 2 fob & Rover 75. The door unlocking & diabling the alarm from pressing the unlock button is the same, and can be programmed into the D2 no problem.

When you press the unlock button, all doors unlock, and the engine immobilised. If the car is not started after a short period (about 30 seconds if the door is opened & closed) then the immobiliser comes back on again & the car won't start. This is where the differences are -

i) Disco 2 - If immobilised, when the ignition key is turned to position 2, the passive coil around the ignition "excites" the key fob. The key fob responds to this by briefly transmitting the "unlock" signal, received by the RF receiver in the roof. If the key is programmed to the vehicle, it will then start. If not, the red light on the dash stays on & it doesn't crank.

ii) R75 - The key fob contains a separate transponder. Every time the ignition is turned to pos'n 3, the passive coil again "excites" the transducer in the fob. This transducer then transmits a code back through the coil to the alarm system. This has to match a pre-determined code stored in the ECU (10 keys max from new, more cannot be programmed)

In summary, If a R75 key is used in a disco 2, then you will notice no difference in normal use, unless the passive immobiliser kicks in. Then the car will not crank when you turn the key. All you need to do is briefly press the unlock button (simulating what the coil is requesting). the red light will extinguish & the car will start.

Disco keys will not work (havn't tried, but in theory is correct) in a R75. They could be programmed to remotely open the doors, but are unlikely to start the engine.

I hope this will be of use to someone else in the future ....