Which spanner set?

Gromit

I'm in the market for some spanners :D

I've survived for ages on a roll of drop forged spanners I picked up years ago in a market :huh: mainly because I've decent 1/2" and 1/4"socket sets and I've bought a few proper spanners when I've needed them.

I've been spending the last few days removing the swivel balls from the axle to replace the oil seals. I've discovered why swearing was invented. Thank you Les for saving me taking photos of the process and for your excellent write-up.

In fairness to my 14mm cheese spanner, it did survive being pounded with a 4lb sledge, though it's not its original shape anymore.

After a few people extolling the virtues of Halfords ratchet spanners, I've been looking at their 10pc set at 40 quid, and their 7pc at 50 quid (5 degreees movement, drives on the flats, low profile)

Machine Mart also do a 6pc set, though without the flexi head, but it does come in a nice wooden presentation box :blink: They also do an open ended set.

I know Halfords replace pro stuff, but I just want stuff that doesn't break in the first place. Will ratchet spanners survive my mini sledge? Are they worth the money? How do they compare to open ended spanners?

Is the flexi head a good or a bad thing?

Your experiences and advice please, gents and gentesses.

The halfords ratchet spanners are available as combination. One open end and one ring with ratchet.

They are exceptionally tough. I have 'broken' the ratchet on one 13mm spanner, but i think it wore out as much as broke. The ratchet mechanism is a lot tougher than you might imagine. Keeping grit out of the mechanism and occasional oiling would probably help a lot!

I would reccomend them with no hesitation or reservation!

Si

I have subkectd my Halfrauds ratchet spanners to some quite spectacular abuse but I would stop short of hitting them with a club hammer! Use a copper hammer as then Halfrauds will not see the marks of abuse and will replace them FOC. :)

Chris

which halfords set are you guys using? 10pc or 7pc?

cheers,

I have several combination ratchet spanners that I have bought singly - 10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 9/16"AF, 17mm (Bergen) and 19mm. All get abuse and left covered in muck/full of water, grit and sh.. and all still perform. Had them years and I would buy newHafords if I ever lost them. I also have a big Halfrauds toolkit in a case with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets as well as combination spanners.

Chris

Done knuckle damage with the flexi head type. :blink: Got to make sure you keep the pressure in the right direction or the joint pivots.

Got the 8pc flexi ratchet set and the 150pc socket set. no problems other than the ineptitude described above. :D

Snailracer

I have a set of Halfords ones, combination ratchet spanners without the flexi head, can't recall exact price (around £40-50 IIRC) or how many there are (8mm to 19mm with a few sizes missing) as I've had the a couple of years now. Have given them some abuse, but have stopped short of hitting them. Managed to jam the 17mm one once doing bumper bolts, but putting it on a tight nut and jiggling it the other way freed it up and it's been fine ever since. I wouldn't live without them now, and would by Halfords again without reservation.

what he said, be carefull with the flexi ones as they can pivot when you realy don't want them to.

i've got a complete set of the Halfords ones, would totally recommend them, you'll wonder how you ever did without them.... especially when it comes to removing brake caliper mounting bolts. ;)

i wouldn't hit them with a hammer though, buy a couple of regular combination spanners for that, only about £5 each in halfords. :)

if you stand all your rachet spanners in a jam jar of clean engine oil overnight from time to time, they will stay as good as new. ;) B)

i've tried cheap tools, and broken racket handles, split allen keys, twisted the ends off extension bars...

since i bought all Halfords, Britool and Teng stuff i've not broken anything. :)

......and look after your tools, if you leave them in a puddle of rusty water you deserve the skinned knuckles you got from your cheap tools... ;)

another vote for the halford ratchet spanners (non-flexi). However I would also be inclined to get a set of non-ratchet ones too, since you always need two of every size, and you can hit them (with a leather/copper faced hammer) if you absolutely have to.

Halfords were doing an offer on thier 33 piece set of rat. spanners recently. It has 8mm - 19mm with every size in between in the fixed head combination versions. it also has an adapter to take 1/4" screwdriver bits and a load of bits (hence 33 piece) . Anyway, it was 1/3rd off which made it £40 so I bought one!

The halfords pro non-ratche combination spanners are really pretty good value too...

Mark

halfords do a lot of deals and special offers from time to time, like 'buy two, get one free' thats how i got my sets, bought two sets for about £65 each, and got another free....

apparently you can get a trade card if you can prove you are in the motor trade, i'e. print yourself a letter head.....

halfords do a lot of deals and special offers from time to time, like 'buy two, get one free'

That's when I usually buy my engine oil.

OT - Halfords engine oil is actually a better spec than most of the big name brands.