Leaking diesel

I woke up this morning to a very strong smell of diesel coming from my garage.

When I opened the door the floor was shinning with fuel!!!

I went under the truck and the front end of the tank is wet and dripping fuel.

How hard is it to drop the tank?

Thanks.

First of all drain the rest of the fuel out with the drain plug. the tanks are straight forward to get in and out but can be tight. trolly jack help to take the weight makes it a tad easier... Sounds like a new tank required... cement powder is good for soaking up diesel..

hope this helps steve

Started pulling the tank on the weekend.

Of course there are 2 nuts that have wrung and will not budge.

One on the front bracket and the other on the inner most rear.

So I had a mechanic come have a try on my lunch hour.

He got the bracket loose but is going to have to hacksaw the rear mount off and re-weld or fix a new bracket.

So much rust! :blink:

Yes, I think dropping the tank has to be one of the most hatefull of all LR jobs, lying on your back attacking rusted nuts and bolts, rusty mud in your eyes while wrestling the tank out.

Enjoy :lol::lol:

Don't forget to remove all that you can from the old tank. i.e the 90 elbow filler if in good condition. It will set you back 30 ish quid for a new one. The breather hose is a special order item. Clean the front bracket up then replace using M8 A2 nuts and nylock nuts. I think I used 20mm 25mm and 2x35mm bolts

Keep the sender, pickup, return pipes and the drain plug.

It does appear you have cut through the outrigger bracket at the rear of the tank. :o which may prove tricky to re-attach later. Like Les a bit of trimming along the inboard edge was needed or else the tank fouls on the chassis rails and the outer sills.

Pete

Don't forget to remove all that you can from the old tank. i.e the 90 elbow filler if in good condition. It will set you back 30 ish quid for a new one. The breather hose is a special order item. Clean the front bracket up then replace using M8 A2 nuts and nylock nuts. I think I used 20mm 25mm and 2x35mm bolts

Keep the sender, pickup, return pipes and the drain plug.

It does appear you have cut through the outrigger bracket at the rear of the tank. :o which may prove tricky to re-attach later. Like Les a bit of trimming along the inboard edge was needed or else the tank fouls on the chassis rails and the outer sills.

Pete

We had to cut the outrigger as the nut and bolt would not budge. We plan to make a new bracket of some sort.

I ordered a complete new tank with everything, new sender,hoses,front bracket...

I figure as long as I have it all down I may as well replace it.

Thanks.

OK, so I got my parts and painted the new tank, 3 coats.

I also ordered everything that goes with the fuel tank or so I thought.

The tubes on top of the tank that connect to the 2 fuel lines going to the engine are connected to each other via some kinda nut and bolt thingys.

The nut thingys on the tubes that mount to the tank were not on the tubes!!!! FFS why not??

How do I get them fixed on?

It looks like some little brass ring is sweated on the old one but of course the old one is soooo rotten with rust I cannot use it.

Help!