Painting headlight surrounds/grille

Sorry - I must be being thick

Yours looks loverley with the twin scoops, the website does look anything like that

Why ?

I rather like your set up :)

Nige

Looking at the web pic the pic looks 'stretched' and the intake grill is one, and mine has a bridge in the middle! but the same bonnet :D mine is the most recent model.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the halfords/motorfactors style aerosols dont work all that well, as the paint doesnt seem very robust.

Anything i've painted in that stuff thats on the front end of a vehicle quickly turns into a stonechipped mess. Mate of mine recently did the light surrounds and grill on his 90 with it, and only a few months later there are already stone chips in it.

Well its not quite as sexy as the red 110 and the bonnet does not have any scoopy things, but looks loads better than the crusty plan plastic of before.

used plastic primer and halfrauds Rover Silver (tin of each)

wendyfront.jpg?psid=1

looks good :) you don't need the bonnet scoops ;)

I did mine about 6 weeks ago using halfords paint- i took the parts off washed in warm soapy water and the rinsed to remove bugs, before rubbing over with green scourer and washing, rinsing and air drying again.

Warm cans in the sink with some warm water for 10mins beforehand. Shake v well before painting.

Grey primer first, a few light coats until evenly painted- then wet and dried with some 600 (i think) grade paper.

Wash again, dry and then paint black.

Mine have survived with no chipping etc so far, and with my new crystal headlights installed my old B-reg looks the bees knees (from a distance! ) :)

I agree, it looks a very tidy defender :D , in my opinion I would change the front indicator lamps for clear lenses and amber bulbs :rolleyes:

I am quite partial to the LED equivalents, but have other things on the list before. These are NAS style which are big improvement on standard.

I've found the halfords/motorfactors style aerosols dont work all that well, as the paint doesnt seem very robust.

Anything i've painted in that stuff thats on the front end of a vehicle quickly turns into a stonechipped mess. Mate of mine recently did the light surrounds and grill on his 90 with it, and only a few months later there are already stone chips in it.

I did try local automotive paint suppliers in Canterbury (they also have a land rover dealership), but they were a) closed on a Saturday, and b) did not reply to my emails and c) failed to tell me they were not open on a Saturday so I found out when I went to pick them up (did say). IMHO far too snooty to DIY'ers and they can take their business and stick it where the sun don't shine.. Ive been waiting since May to get a Parrott H/F kit fitted with Messrs Halfrauds, after many failed fitting sessions (with excuses worthy of Monty Python Parrot sketch) and an email trail to their cusrtomer services team, Im still waiting. I would only use them for basic stuff and then only if no local independants had the stuff.

Ahem, Halfauds bash over..

I am quite partial to the LED equivalents, but have other things on the list before. These are NAS style which are big improvement on standard.

I have the led lamps on the rear of my 110 and did have the nas ones on the front, for the indicator lamp I used a white sidelamp nas unit and simply replaced the bulb with an amber one!, however since the pic of the front end was subbmitted on this forum I have re-modelled the front end and now use standard land rover lamps on the front again indicator with white lens and amber bulb, this was the nas ones where too big for my KBX headlamp surrounds!

1d3674cf.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

I have the led lamps on the rear of my 110 and did have the nas ones on the front, for the indicator lamp I used a white sidelamp nas unit and simply replaced the bulb with an amber one!, however since the pic of the front end was subbmitted on this forum I have re-modelled the front end and now use standard land rover lamps on the front again indicator with white lens and amber bulb, this was the nas ones where too big for my KBX headlamp surrounds!

What do you think of the KBX surrounds quality wise?

It's either new surrounds or NAS lights and some paint, not sure what is going to look better. Actually, knowing my work rate some boot polish and a duster may be about as good as it gets ;).

Anyone know a cheap source for NAS lights and surrounds?

What do you think of the KBX surrounds quality wise?

It's either new surrounds or NAS lights and some paint, not sure what is going to look better. Actually, knowing my work rate some boot polish and a duster may be about as good as it gets ;).

Anyone know a cheap source for NAS lights and surrounds?

All the kbx is stuff is absolutely superb, it is made of a good thick ABS plastic and painted very well. KBX is run by two long standing Land Rover enthusiasts, and their customer service is second to none, It took a lot of deciding for me to part with all that cash for plastic parts but you realy do get what you pay for! My experience with NAS lamps is that I had Wipac ones which where of very poor quality and filled with water when it rained etc, if you want nas lamps go for the perei ones that are fitted NAS defenders they are more expensive than wipac but same again, You get what you pay for...... :D