Bobtail

v8hybrid

Been thinking bout Bobtailing my hybrid over the past few weeks. Was just wondering what peoples views were on the matter, and if anyone has done it some help on how much work is involved?? such as use a landy x member or make my own??

any thoughts people??

Ads

There are some bob tailed 90s on here, 3 or 4" off the back and from the Gwyn Lewis stable IIRC. Worth a search as certianly the one I had in mind looked good though it seems a lot of work for little gain.

Tray back seems to offer bigger gains but SWMBO wasn't too impressed when I was considering it for mine. Have to admit that I'm not terribly keen on the look either but it does seem the way to go.

I had a bobtail years ago

IMHO the 2 door looks "Nicer" than the 4 door, mine was a 2 door bob

The biggest problem I had was the roof, I did not know until I had "Committed myself" (and the RR) that the roof is "Shaped" and that you can't just chop a lump off the back and refit, it is waisted and is a PITFA to get anywhere near neat job.

I chopped mine and then vynil roofed it to hide the horrible mess :lol: , the other prob is where the tank goes easier to fix but still a prob

HTH

Nige

Edited to say I may have the wrong end of the stick here 90 or RR, but a 15 hour day takes its toll :(

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

It may also help, if you PM one of the Mods, and asked to move the thread out of "Tools and Fabrication"

whilst here, will have to agreed with nige,, 2 door rangie bob,,look "nicer" guess what I had,till I bought the Hybrid :D

Grippa_in_the_field_007.jpg

I agree this is a fantastic looking project. I bet it performs as well as it looks.

Out of interest is it just the photo angle or does the higher rear cross member add down force to the rear wheels when wimching out backwards tending to dig them deeper?

I don't know, 7.50 SAGs arn't exactly the last word in grip are they.

And it's only got about 8" under the diffs

You might not think so - but if you have ever watched the chaps from Chichester 4x4 attacking something, I think you might reconsider. I'd like to see anyone with 35" Simex get to half the places they drive without using a winch.

OK, they stay out of the mud & water - but have still managed to win the odd challenge against people with grippier tyres.

Si