Lost power and lots of smoke

I was driving along at about 50mph today when the amount of smoke from the exhaust suddenly increase and a loss of power.

The smoke was white/blue (oil?) I stopped to have a look and listen. The engine was idling at very low revs but it did not stall and I thought I could hear a background noise (which I can't work out how to type :oops: ). Managed to limp the few miles home. While driving back I had a steady stream of white/blue smoke and didn't have the power to get out of third gear without pushing it, which I did not want to do.

The only thing that I have done is loosen the injector unions (as it says in Haynes) to see if the smoke goes away. There was no real change to the smoke. I got the impression from the book that the diesel was expected to spray from the unions. One of mine spat a bit and the other three just dripped.

Engine is a 2.5TD and has just past 200,000 miles

Any ideas that I can try before I take it to the garage?

Thanks

Stephen

200.000 mile my goodness a TD with that many miles on it should've gone pop at least half the mileage ago lol could you afford to replace the TD with a disco 200 tdi? as this maybe a good time to do that now it's gone wrong

Could well be the rings, my TD engine lasted 275'000 and even then it was still going, but the power started dropping, turned out the be the rings. I opted to just put a 200 in.

Adam

Sounds like head gasket failure to me.

Mark

200.000 mile my goodness a TD with that many miles on it should've gone pop at least half the mileage ago lol could you afford to replace the TD with a disco 200 tdi? as this maybe a good time to do that now it's gone wrong

Can I afford to fit a 200dtdi? Not really no, but as I need the 110 for work I might have no choice.

Sounds like head gasket failure to me.

Mark

The head gasket was done last autumn. So if its gone again so soon then there must be another problem causing it wouldn't there?

I've had another listen and look at the engine and I think it could well be the head gasket like you are saying.

The engine did not overheat, so what would cause the gasket to go 9 months after it was replaced?

poor quality gasket and/or fitted incorrectly would be top choices

Mike

What caused gasket to go before? Was head skimmed?

Have had problems myself with cheap gaskets.Now use elring on 200tdis and so far no probs on two separate vehicles which had both blown cheap gaskets.

Mark