Cappings, Rear Door and Wheels

Hi,

Having spent the last Year or so umming and ahhing over the rust on the rear of my Defender, I have now decided to take action (mainly inspired by the How To Replace Cappings Thread).

To be perfectly honest, I didn't realise that the Cappings were a separate panel. I thought it was part of the rear tub as such (hence why I have left it. :blush: )

Anyway, I have taken a couple of photos of my Land Rover of the suspect areas.

DSCN3565.jpg

DSCN3566.jpg

DSCN3570.jpg

DSCN3568.jpg

As you can see, the majority of the capping (the straight part anyway) is in A1 condition.

The only rusty parts are the corner/angle cappings. Can you buy these separatley? Because on the other thread, the cappings seemed welded together? I would be after some galavnised cappings, (approx. price?), so if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. Not sure if they are sometimes called "flashings" as well?

Second Question - Rear Door:

My Rear Door is also becoming rusty. I've had a look on fleebay for a new door, but I'm not willing to pay £100 plus for a door due to a tiny bit of rust. Is there anyway I can repair mine, so it doesn't come back? The rust is small'ish, but just ruins the look of the Landy.

Photo below:

DSCN3569.jpg

DSCN3571.jpg

Third and Final Question (Sorry):

Wheels and Tyres.

I currently run standard Steels with YKS's on rear and Colway's on front (235/85/R16).

To be perfectly honest, I'm not too impressed/confident in them.

I've been toying with the idea of Boost alloys with BFG's All Terrain hopefully to improve the handling. Would Genral Grabbers still do the job? What size tyres also?

Are these the best combo for road/motorway driving, with the odd Green Lane and towing across wet/muddy fields?

Sorry for all of the questions :( .

Thanks,

Liam

rear door you can remove the corrosion back to brae material, then etch prime & finish with primer & colour coat.

LH capping

RH capping

these maybe galvanised when you buy or maybe plain steel with a black primer finish.

if your 90 has rear disc brakes, then Discovery or RRC alloys will fit with whatever tyres you decide to fit

Thanks Western for that. I'm glad I don't have to replace my door!

LH capping

RH capping

these maybe galvanised when you buy or maybe plain steel with a black primer finish.

The links however show the full length of the cappings. I'm assuming you can't buy the little "L" shaped parts (highlighted between the yellow marks on my photo below). I was hoping to purchase these separatley.

DSCN35651.jpg

Thanks Western for that. I'm glad I don't have to replace my door!

The links however show the full length of the cappings. I'm assuming you can't buy the little "L" shaped parts (highlighted between the yellow marks on my photo below). I was hoping to purchase these separatley.

DSCN35651.jpg

There are different part numbers for "early" vehicles, with two part cappings:

MWC4662 or MWC4686 RH CAPPING

MWC4663 or MWC4687 LH CAPPING

MWC3316 RH ANGLE

MWC3317 LH ANGLE

Then one-piece cappings (equivalent to the numbers Ralph gave)

MXC5978 or MXC5968 Capping right hand

MXC5979 or MXC5969 Capping left hand

Also, try herefor a bewildering but possibly useful list!