Quick diff lock (not centre) question

Hi

have been pondering getting an axle difflock, my question is this, if you just fit one locker does it matter if it's fitted front or back? Most seem to fit it to the back? My issue is that I have a 110 with a Salisbury rear axle therefore getting one installed is going to be expensive, obviously I can get a recon rover diff with an arb fitted in and fit it myself no worries. There is also the fact that the Salisbury is stronger and I would only fit one locker. I don't do rufty tufty extreme to the max off roading but mainly p&p and hopefully some overland in the future depending on work.

So should I just fit an arb to the front or bite the bullet and get one installed in the rear?

Mike

reason for fitting to the rear diff, is so full steering control is kept, when the front diff is locked the steering cannot do it's job as well & can be very grabby, try driving a Series 2 or 3 on hard ground in 4wd low, for example.

If you get stuck, mostly it will be because some of your wheels have to rise and there is not enough grip for that. Going down is obviously much easier. But if you're going up most off the weight off your car is going to the rear. So that is where you need the locker. In my challenge truck I need the rear locker very frequently. The front only now and then. If I found out the front locker was broken it would be a pitty, if the rear was broken I would try everything I could to repair it before the start...

Paul

Ralph that makes sense, how undriveable does it make it? I would prefer rear but theres a huge price/faff difference front and rear! I would probably only be using it when stuck on my own without a tow around...

Mike

wouldn't be undriveable in normal road use & off road [hard roads] the wheels could slid on slippery surfaces, wouldn't recommend fitting a Rover [90 or Disco] rear axle to a 110, but the later Td5 rear non salisbury would be ok,

As i understand it, but i could be wrong, the later axles are still 24 spline..... this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2006-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-TD5-ABS-REAR-AXLE-complete-/370388445846?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item563cdf2a96 appears to me to look identical to the axle in the back of my 300 defender..... or are there internal differences that i don;t know about..??

If your Defender is a 90 then it will be identical, as far as I am aware 90 rear axles are still the same as they always have been in terms of type :)

If yours is a 110 then it should have a Salisbury unless a later P38 type axle has been retrofitted.

yes, should have said late Td5 110 axle.

the Late Td5 110 axles look like a normal Rover one, but they are stronger than a normal rover type as found on the back of RRC, Disco1 and 90's. They have a stronger diff too :).

Salisbury VS Late Td5 110. the salisbury diff comes out of the rear of the case and needs the backlash set up when the diff comes out. The late Td5 110 one, the diff comes out of the front of the case the same as a 'normal' rover axle.

Swapping the Salisbury for a p38 axle would give me a cheaper locker in the back but still a chocolate front diff? Upgrading the front (obviously all of it shafts etc) would give me a stronger front axle and I'd still have a nice strong diff in the back no?

Just trying to align the cost/faffing/usage/pointlesness balance!

Mike

PS a 110 and no Salisbury :o

Just to be totally different I compete in winch challenge events and would much rather go without a locking rear diff than go without a locking front diff.

If I am in a situation where I need lockers I am almost always in a position where I need the winch too.

If I am using the front winch then I am also using the front locker.

having the front locker in whilst winching means that both front wheels are trying to climb out or climb over the obstacle I have encountered.

When the locker is not engaged you tend to get one wheel spinning and one wheel bulldozing against an obstacle.

I have gone slightly against convention and tried to make my vehicle front heavy, the front locker becomes even more useful.