300 Tdi problems

Hi

I was driving home after a punch hunt this afternoon and the noise of the engine suddenly increased and the power died.

A friend was driving behind me and said there was a plume of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Im lost as to where to start on where to work out whats causing the problem and how to rectify it - I havnt really played with engines before :blink:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tris

Ive quickly taken the air filter out and there was some dust and grit on the outside and a very small marginal amount on the inside. i also decided to take the pipe off the intake from the turbo. on the air filter side of this there some oily residue which felt like it had some fine grit within this.

Whats the next course of action?

Ive quickly taken the air filter out and there was some dust and grit on the outside and a very small marginal amount on the inside. i also decided to take the pipe off the intake from the turbo. on the air filter side of this there some oily residue which felt like it had some fine grit within this.

Whats the next course of action?

How about oily stuff between the engine intake manifold and the turbo charger? Take the top hose off the intercooler, it'll give you an idea of what's going on.

Black smoke is typically unburnt diesel, so either:

There isn't enough air getting in (cos the turbo isn't working, the inlet hose to the turbo is collapsing or there is a leak in the pipes between the turbo and the engine) or

Low compression (head gasket failed) or

Too much diesel (injector pump issue) or

Late injection (timing problem).

But we'll start with the easy tests!

Ive tried spinning the turbo and it spins fine, a slight bit of play but i wouldnt say anything worth worrying about.

there is black smoke almost all the time but it gets thicker under acceleration, i did notice a hiss which sounds like it is every forth cylinder, after much hunting i found the where the hiss was coming from. On the back of the engine next to the breather there is a flat piece of the engine, the oil that had coated its self on there seemed to look streaky as if its been blown. i put some water on top of the oily residue and it got blown away.

DSCF22991.jpg

Red ring is where the blow is from

To me (not knowing much about engines) i would guess that the head gasket has gone. Does this sound like it would be causing the problems i have?

Yep, blown head gasket. Typical of this engine - No4 blowing to the bulkhead. This will cause all the syptoms you describe.

Les.

Thanks les, Ive had a look at your how to guide on here and ive also looked at a workshop manual that ive got, it says that i should remove the turbo whereas your how to guide doesnt mention anything about it.

Does it need to come off or can i get away without it?

Follow the guide, there's no need to remove the turbo, but make sure that you can move it far enough away from the engine to do the job. Movement of the turbo is restricted by the downpipe, oil feed and drain pipes, and wastegate actuator pipe.

Les.