Brake line unions

Just refurbing my brakes and lines, from what I've read there can be some dangerous confusion with regard to UNF and metric fittings, so decided to redo the whole lot... my truck has been heavily faffed with and I am presuming my braking system is knacked, so planning on relaying new copper brake pipe.

Taking the lines off the rear axle I noticed that the copper had been "bubble" flared (from internet pics - is this the same as double flared???). Can anyone elaborate on the different types of flaring one can do on pipework, from what I gather, there are 3 types, Single?, double and bubble flaring?

What are the advantage of using each? for standard 3/16" copper pipe and 3/8"UNF fttings can I just use a standard flare?

Cheers

Mav

Two types on your truck - single and double flare (trumpet is single flare and mushroom is double flare). A single flare is typically used for the brake (wheel) cylinder connection and also where you make an inline join. Male are externally threaded and female are internally threaded - female will always have a single flare inside, and a male will always have a double flare inside. 2 x thread types - 3/8" and M10 - except on some brake master cylinders, where there will be one larger thread to ensure the right pipe goes in the right 'ole smile.gif

looking at the vid - bubble flare looks the same as double flare. I've never heard of a bubble flare though.

3/16" is the standard size pipe - regardless if you use metric or imperial. You must always replace like for like flare (assuming that it's the right one in the first place)

Les.

Two types on your truck - single and double flare (trumpet is single flare and mushroom is double flare). A single flare is typically used for the brake (wheel) cylinder connection and also where you make an inline join. Male are externally threaded and female are internally threaded - female will always have a single flare inside, and a male will always have a double flare inside. 2 x thread types - 3/8" and M10 - except on some brake master cylinders, where there will be one larger thread to ensure the right pipe goes in the right 'ole smile.gif

looking at the vid - bubble flare looks the same as double flare. I've never heard of a bubble flare though.

3/16" is the standard size pipe - regardless if you use metric or imperial. You must always replace like for like flare (assuming that it's the right one in the first place)

Les.

Thanks Les, that compliments your tech thread about replacing brake lines quite well. - I think the bubble is another name for a double flare, I read a few other forums about it and I think some guys where getting confused with there flaring so they invented a new word...! :)