Exhaust broken

The exit pipe came adrift on Saturday where it joins the rear (possibly only, have not had real chance to look) silencer.

Have always gone to KwikFit for exhausts on other cars but thought worth asking opinions here first since LR are not their standard bread and butter.

Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Malcy

Thanks. I have always been stumped by the fitters use of heat and welding stuff which I don't have. Am I likely to be able to get the joints undone etc?

If the answer is yes then quite willing to have a go. The fact it is broken seems to make little difference to noise output but have been keeping drivers window open just in case of CO buildup!

Fitting an exhaust is actually very easy, usually the worst you will experience is a snapped exhaust manifold stud but you would have to be unlucky to suffer that (I haven't had one in 25-years of LR ownership). Definately do it youeself rather than paying someone else.

Make sure you get the correct replacement pipe, there are often several differnt options so chassis number will help as will checking photos/diagrams of on-line parts suppliers before you purchase.

Brtpart silencers are/were actually made by Bosal which are a very well known and respected manufacturer, in fact I got my 300TDi Bosal tailpipe cheaper as a Britpart item than buying it direct from a motor-factors (£35).

Of course you can go down the SS route but there are several pitfalls to watch out for (poorly designed/manufactured systems for instance) so to get yourself back on the road ASAP probably better to get a mild steel one for now.

No need for exhaust sealent as if you have to use it then it means you haven't assembled it correctly, take it apart and do it again making sure nothing is strained. Use new fixings and rubber hangers throughout (very cheap).

Squirt a bit of wd40 around on the bolts that need undoing the night before you do the job. The heat and welding gear used in kwik fit is usually completely unnecessary so dont worry about it. Otherwise i agree with Litch.

Squirt a bit of wd40 around on the bolts that need undoing the night before you do the job. The heat and welding gear used in kwik fit is usually completely unnecessary so dont worry about it. Otherwise i agree with Litch.

Soaking them the night before will often do the trick, but be prepared to use an angle grinder or hacksaw on the bolts.

I just fitted a total new exhaust to my 90 and it sounds sweet as a nut now, I can actually have a conversation in the cab without having to shout. Beats the shortend usless side exhaust it had on before.

Thanks for all advice. Got down to it today and removed the tail pipe and the silencer (which broke off last night). Ordered up new bit. Not nearly as difficult as I had imagined and as someone said, you actually have some room to work for once, even if it is all manky!

Best wishes

Malcy