Concerning Wheels and Tyres

Chaps,

I want to get myself some 235/85/16 BFG A/T's or MT's or the same size Cooper ST's or STT's

I have standard suspension on my 90 with no lift.

It currently has 205/16 tyres fitted but I would like to have an extra inch or two ground clearance so hence bigger tyres. I would buy them with new steel wheels as my current wheels need so much balancing done to them I'm sure they must be egg shaped!

Is this going to be a problem? i.e. will they fit?

Other than the fact that it will affect the gearing, am I going to have any other problems due to the larger diameter and width of the tyres?

Also, and I know this has been done many a time before, any suggestion as to which brand of tyre you would recommend from the two mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

JB

JB,

The tyres will fit fine :) You will, however need to change the speedo drive to get the correct speedo reading, a simple and cheap job :)

Both tyre brands are good quality and each have their own fan base, the BFGs being particularly renowned for their longevity.

HTH

Mo

My truck was fitted with 235 85's when i bought it direct from the NT........ is it liekly it'll have the right speedo drive in it..?? also, as i'm gonna fit a disco transfer box, will the blue gear siute that aswell or not..??

I did the same thing your doing ,speedo drive's a simple job to change ,best way is to remove the centre seat and the panel underneath it ,the speedo drive is held in by a forked plate and the plates retained by a 6mm nut (10mm head),I run BFG mt's ,i only got mt's because they were a steal on eBlag ,if i had to replace them i'd get A/T's ,but it all depends on what you use use your truck for.

Chaps,

I want to get myself some 235/85/16 BFG A/T's or MT's or the same size Cooper ST's or STT's

I have standard suspension on my 90 with no lift.

It currently has 205/16 tyres fitted but I would like to have an extra inch or two ground clearance so hence bigger tyres. I would buy them with new steel wheels as my current wheels need so much balancing done to them I'm sure they must be egg shaped!

Is this going to be a problem? i.e. will they fit?

Other than the fact that it will affect the gearing, am I going to have any other problems due to the larger diameter and width of the tyres?

Also, and I know this has been done many a time before, any suggestion as to which brand of tyre you would recommend from the two mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

JB

Here's mine. 235/85R16 BFG AT on wolf rims, standard suspension.

post-3816-127543243364_thumb.jpg

post-3816-127543244848_thumb.jpg

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: JB, your repair guy has a talent for comedy :hysterical:

That fills me with confidence :unsure:

TychoS: they look a great fit, my 205/16's leave a great big gap between the tops of the tyres and the wheel arches. I'm not one for aesthetics really, but it does look a bit pony.

Are 255/85's better than 235/85's? they will be used for road driving, greenlaning and pay and play so I'm looking for the best all-rounders really.

Appreciate all the help guys :)

255/85's will give you about 0.75 inches more ground clearance but it's an expensive option - about £50 per tyre dearer than a 235/85 or 265/75.

Www.tyrespec.co.uk have 10% off the cooper discoverer st 255/85 at the moment, so about £128 per tyre. 265/75's are only £90 though.

Euro

My truck was fitted with 235 85's when i bought it direct from the NT........ is it liekly it'll have the right speedo drive in it..?? also, as i'm gonna fit a disco transfer box, will the blue gear siute that aswell or not..??

The speedo drive gear is on the rear output shaft of the transfer case, which it turns at the same speed relative to the rear wheels no matter what whether you are in high or low range or what the high range ratio is. So in other words what ever speedo gear is right for the tyre diameter will be the same for defender or disco transfer case.

The speedo gear requires one small nut to be removed then pull the bearing and gear. Maybe replace the o-ring when re-fitting. It is located on the left side of the rear output housing, tucked in between the hand brake drum and rear of transfer case.

it most likely has the correct blue gear fitted, but worth getting under & having a look, IIRC LR supply the NT direct through their fleet sales & some NT vehicles come via SV [specail vehicles] dept too.