Discovery Water Pump

esk1960

Help!!!!

can anyone advise how to undo the bolts securing the power steering pulley,this will enable me to change the water pump on my 300 tdi disco? Belt has broken so unable to use this on tension, not sure whether this would have worked anyway as the bolts are tight, thre is not a lot of room to work in with the fan still in place. What a pain this job is!!!

Try undoing any screw across the center of the pulley. Sometimes it works. Failing that why not just fit the new belt until you have the screws undone. I carry a 75 mm screw so that if I get a tight screw I can fit the longer screw into one of the holes that I've taken a screw from, I let the screw tighten up against someting and that holds the pulley until I have the other scews out.

When refitting the screws,put some threadlock on the threads, it should be easier to undo the screws the next time.

I had this issue when I did mine, they're tight as fook. I assume you mean the 3 bolts that hold the pulley on? Easiest way is to stick it in a vice and get a hexagonal socket on them. I did not have a vice! So.... I put a spanner on one the bolts as something to hold that doesnt spin then got a rachet on the others. When it came to the last one I just held the pulley really really tight and swore a lot.

Hope this helps!

Help!!!!

can anyone advise how to undo the bolts securing the power steering pulley,this will enable me to change the water pump on my 300 tdi disco? Belt has broken so unable to use this on tension, not sure whether this would have worked anyway as the bolts are tight, thre is not a lot of room to work in with the fan still in place. What a pain this job is!!!

Many thanks for all your suggestions, just awaiting delivery of the swear box on Thursday when I will be having another go armed with Mike's advice.

I did mine (twice) this weekend... twice because I thought the P-gasket was leaking, then when it all went together it was the pump spindle. Anyway, I agreed with mmgemini above, you'll be needing to put the new belt on soon enough, so do it now and use the tension. Sometimes you get the pulley spinning, but a few 'sharp' tugs at the socket wrench did mine.

As for access, you're right. I found using a socket extension bar and the space in front of the fan the best way to get to the bolts, assuming you've removed all the hoses that get in the way already?!