The Gremlins have arrived :(

nige90

My latest aquistion, a rather nice ES Auto 2000 model Td5 Disco has been running superbly

until last Friday when I went away for a few days towing the caravan.

Braking for a junction the ABS, HDC and TC lights all came on. First thoughts were an ABS

sensor as all the above are linked via that system. With the limited tools I had with me I

checked all connections and they seemed ok.

Performed some "live" checks and the ABS still works but the HDC and TC don't so am now a

bit puzzled as to were to start looking.

Obviously it's a complicated system but as it must be able to identify individual sensors

etc to be able to apply brakes to that particular wheel, is it clever enough to record what

triggered the fault and thus an easy cure ?

Obviously it's a complicated system but as it must be able to identify individual sensors

etc to be able to apply brakes to that particular wheel, is it clever enough to record what

Can be caused by a faulty sensor or wiring, worn hub, or even a seized brake caliper. You'll need to get it hooked up to a diagnostic system to find the fault code. That'll tell you which corner has the problem and simplify further investigation.

If you don't have rovacom/nanocom then worth a check for sized capliers, worn hubs, or obviously damaged wiring to the sensors before taking it to the garage for the diagnostics.

The fault will be recorded until reset, even if you fix the cause. The lights should go out on the next ignition cycle if the fault is no longer present.

Usually it's caused by wheel bearing moving but if you find no movement on that corner then I have heard if you remove sensor plug hole and tidy top of hole up with a dremel or similar unplug hole refit sensor has been known to be a cure this will still need nanocom or hawkeye etc for which corner to look at and reset the light

Most problems of this nature are caused by the sensor being too far from the magnets and unable to pick up a correct signal

the bad bit wheel bearings are none adjustable and you must replace the wholehub £150 ouch done 2 on mine 1 went not 3 week after I sorted the other

My latest aquistion, a rather nice ES Auto 2000 model Td5 Disco has been running superbly

until last Friday when I went away for a few days towing the caravan.

Braking for a junction the ABS, HDC and TC lights all came on. First thoughts were an ABS

sensor as all the above are linked via that system. With the limited tools I had with me I

checked all connections and they seemed ok.

Performed some "live" checks and the ABS still works but the HDC and TC don't so am now a

bit puzzled as to were to start looking.

I had exactly the same with my Disco2 a couple of years ago. After hours of diagnostics and going through all of the above it turned out to be as simple as the fuse blown to the brake lights. According to the wiring diagram there is a link between this fuse and the systems effected but I was damned if I could see how. One new fuse and all warning lights went out, everything working.

The systems on the Disco2 do appear to be a little over sensative, I once hit a deep pothole and the jolt brought on every warning light on the dash. It was several minutes before everything settled back down to normal.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the lights wont go out until you get them cleared - even if you do fix the fault.

sorry....

you can try the (very occassionally)successful method of disconnecting the battery for half an hour. sometimes that will clear off stored fault codes that cause the 3 amigos.

Just make sure you have the radio code first :D

Turns out the Snap-on Solus diagnostics at my friend garage can read the system.

OSF sensor low signal.Cleared codes, quick drive back on.

Took out said sensor, cleaned area it sits and refitted. Cleared codes again and hooray,

light stayed out.

Thanks for all your input people :)