posibly my next motor

larson

im looking for a 4x4 and have 5k but im happy to pay less and have sobit left and happy to blow it all. i have seen this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201019358969383/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/discovery/make/land_rover/postcode/hx28lb/quicksearch/true/radius/10/page/1?logcode=p it needs 4 tyres has a leaky sunroof and has oil down the pasinger side of the enginge ( towards the rear). i have no pictures and dont have a clue but once i blow the money i cant aford to buy another if i purches a dog... it has a bit of service history but doesnt say anything of a timing belt or chain being done. when should they be done and is it belt/chain.. whats the common problems i should look for. i have him down to £4k and hes putting new tyres on and probably just going to silicone the sunroof.

this has to be my legthiest first post ever.

looking forwaqrd to your replies larson

I'd say that you can do better for the money, sure it's got reasonable mileage and history, but I wouldn't spend that much on one that age and mileage with that collection of faults.

Tyres are an easy fix - that's just money, but budget at least £400! You can replace the seal on the sunroof, much nicer than sealing it shut, and they really do all do that :lol: The oil is the most concerning.

I'd say look over it thoroughly - check for:

Gearbox leaks

Transfer case leaks

Diff nose leaks

Heavy clutch / noise when engaging the clutch from cold (just looked at the add again, the add says manual, the pics are of and auto! Which is it?)

Condition of coolant - it should be bright pink

Look for chassis rust, particularily around the fuel tank at the rear

Look underneath for off road damage

Is the dealer offering a warranty?

If that all checks out and you can get it for £4K with new tyres, then it's probably OK, but I'd still look around for other options. You're still paying a dealer's premium, so you could probably get the same car private sale for £3K - £3.5K.

I'd say that you can do better for the money, sure it's got reasonable mileage and history, but I wouldn't spend that much on one that age and mileage with that collection of faults.

Tyres are an easy fix - that's just money, but budget at least £400! You can replace the seal on the sunroof, much nicer than sealing it shut, and they really do all do that :lol: The oil is the most concerning.

I'd say look over it thoroughly - check for:

Gearbox leaks

Transfer case leaks

Diff nose leaks

Heavy clutch / noise when engaging the clutch from cold (just looked at the add again, the add says manual, the pics are of and auto! Which is it?)

Condition of coolant - it should be bright pink

Look for chassis rust, particularily around the fuel tank at the rear

Look underneath for off road damage

Is the dealer offering a warranty?

If that all checks out and you can get it for £4K with new tyres, then it's probably OK, but I'd still look around for other options. You're still paying a dealer's premium, so you could probably get the same car private sale for £3K - £3.5K.

it is an auto and i think its a bit expensive but the trouble is i cant find anything else local. the wife tried push me to an m class but i want a landy.. m class is a bit much for a council estate :rolleyes: