bulkhead removal

hi all, just changing my bulkhead and could do with some advice

1, do you have to take the sill plates and wings off to slide the bulkhead out, flange on the bottom of the door piller sugests to me you have to

2, do you need to disconnect the dash board instruments

3, do you need to remove the steering lock mechanism so as to remove steering column.

any help will be greatly appreciated

hi all, just changing my bulkhead and could do with some advice

1, do you have to take the sill plates and wings off to slide the bulkhead out, flange on the bottom of the door piller sugests to me you have to

2, do you need to disconnect the dash board instruments

3, do you need to remove the steering lock mechanism so as to remove steering column.

any help will be greatly appreciated

1. Yes

2. only at the multiplugs in the engine bay, but if the new bulkhead is completly bare, you'll have to swap everything over & that means stripping the dash right off.

3. IIRC the column will come off with the steering lock attached.

As far as I know this lot needs to come off/disconnected: (+more that didnt imediately spring to mind ;) )

-Wings

-Bonnet

-doors

-Steering column

-Transmission tunnel

-Floor plates

-Speedo cable will need disconnecting, easiest way is to pop the binacle out, and unclip it, then post back through the hole in the bulkhead.

Steering lock and column can stay attached, obviously just needs disconnecting further down.

thanks for the quick replies,

have unbolted everything that i can see, including the steering column, brakes and clutch hydraulics, heater box pipes and all the plug connecters i can find. i took off the drivers wing and sill plate but could not get it to come out that way due to the bulkhead fowling the gearbox bellhousing, there seems to be more clearance around the gearbox tunnel on the passenger side so its going that way, when i get the wing off.

When I have done bulkhead replacement (I have done two now) I have stripped them completely before lifting them off as they are easier to move around in that state (single-handed with no lifting equipment).

I use a second pair of hands to fit the new bulkhead into position (brand-new with fresh paint so I didn't want to risk scratching them) and then build it up on the vehicle.

I can't see any time saving if you strip the bulkhead on or off the vehicle, it just makes it more difficult to move around if left fully dressed. Of course if you are not using your original dash/instruments, wiring, heater etc etc then it makes sense to lift it off complete but obviously it is a lot heavier & more bulky.

yes thats true, i've left everything on and its damn heavy, might start strippin it off before we try and lift it again, trouble is i must have close on a hundred nuts, bolts and screws in different containers lying about, dont think they'll all be going back in. i just hope the thing starts again when its put back together, the wife all ready thinks she's a land rover widow

When doing something like a bulkhead change you have to be very methodical or you can easily get confused.

Take lots of photos as you go to remind yourself how parts are located or routed (digital cameras come in to their own for this type of thing). Put fixings etc into separate boxes (ice-cream or margarine tubs are best) and label them. Make sure all wiring is clearly labelled, use masking-tape and write on it if you aren't too hot with wiring diagrams.