Im new to defenders Help

Hi all,

Let me introduce my self im Steve, Ive been out the land rover scene for a bit (used to have a series 3 Ex MOD which I still have in bits)

and have just been out and brought myself a defender 90 CSW XS!

spot on vehicle hope to have many hours of green laneing and pay and play days!!

But id like to run a few things past you guys if i may

Ok here goes

1. Couple of days ago both the TC light and ABS light came on and stayed on now im assuming there is a fault but I know the ABS works (pedal shakes when operating)

Is this a quick fault (faulty sensor etc) or is it a garage job ??

2. Should it have diff lock ?

I ask this as I cant get the lever over. Also when you turn on the ignition no diff lock light comes on ! should it??

dont know where ive got this from but tell me if im wrong! does it not need a diff lock if there is traction control therefore my landy doesnt have a centre Diff lock ??

Please help as its a million times more complicated than the series 3 !!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi all,

Let me introduce my self im Steve, Ive been out the land rover scene for a bit (used to have a series 3 Ex MOD which I still have in bits)

and have just been out and brought myself a defender 90 CSW XS!

spot on vehicle hope to have many hours of green laneing and pay and play days!!

But id like to run a few things past you guys if i may

Ok here goes

1. Couple of days ago both the TC light and ABS light came on and stayed on now im assuming there is a fault but I know the ABS works (pedal shakes when operating)

Is this a quick fault (faulty sensor etc) or is it a garage job ??

2. Should it have diff lock ?

I ask this as I cant get the lever over. Also when you turn on the ignition no diff lock light comes on ! should it??

dont know where ive got this from but tell me if im wrong! does it not need a diff lock if there is traction control therefore my landy doesnt have a centre Diff lock ??

Please help as its a million times more complicated than the series 3 !!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum,

The best thing to check your ABS/TC faults would be to get someone to read the fault codes, it could simply be a loose wire, bad earth or sensor. However it could be something far worse...... The ECU should give you a clue. where are you based, as they are a friendly bunch on here and someone may offer to help you, when you do get the codes come back to the forum for more help.

As for the Diff Lock problem it should slide over and when it does the light should go on. it could be something simple like a sticking selector or a porley gear box, what is the oil condition/level like?

It could be many things just a case of eliminating them.

Welcome also to the world of Defender ownership it's like having a series but more expensive and the electrics are more complicated. (Well in TD5's they are, compaired to my 80!!!!).

Cheers, Jason

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I don't have an ECU, I barely have electrics on mine :rolleyes: but I think this may be the kind of thing you are looking for:

Link

I'm not certain tho, so sorry if I've lead you up the garden path (or given you a link to a cr@p piece of equipment!)